• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

barometric pressure

GSP4ME

It does have a bit to do with the activity of the fish. You want to look for a slow drop in the pressure. That's when fish tend to turn on more. you can catch them either way but when it is slowly dropping you will see more aggression in the fish then a big drop or rise in the pressure

With that said, does anyone have specific websites they use that predicts barometric pressure a few days in advance?

I have a barometer app on my iPhone that I use. It's pretty basic, but tells me what I need to know. It cost $.99.

I wonder about the barometer readings too. I look at the Realtree game forecast online sometimes before I go fishing. Some days I do think it goes along with the bite. Last week before the cold front hit I looked to the north and I saw big dark clouds moving in. I went to the fish house and had a great bite. Better than it had been for days. Must have been a low front bringing in those clouds. The realtree site I think goes a week ahead if you dial it in.

wunderground.com go to your location then scroll to the bottom of the page to weather stations. click on a weather station. you can look at everything there by day, week and month in a graph. you can also search for us barometric map. one i use is usairnet dot com. It has current pressures- you will need to figure out how fast and what direction its comeing from.

I dunno....we humans consistently make the same logical error: We tend to look for evidence that confirms our views but we discount evidence that doesn't (check Sillytown if you need some evidence of this). It's called the confirmation bias, and I'm an absolute sucker for it when it comes to barometric pressure. If I don't catch fish and pressure is rising, that's my excuse....and it's why the fish didn't bite. If I do catch fish and high pressure is coming in, then I'm an awesome fisherman (that's also another logical flaw, the attribution bias). Either way, I suspect that I'm not alone in noticing when the fishes' expected reactions to changing pressure levels confirm my bias...but not noticing when it doesn't.

That being said, there DOES seem to be a noticeable lack of aggression in fish when the pressure is rising. But, again, I dunno. smile

Although I just try and get out fishing whenever I have the opportunity, I do believe high barometric pressure can make fish tight lipped. I think fish can feel the pressure and it makes them feel full. When crappie fishing it seems like the fish run higher in the water column and are much more aggressive when the pressure is low. Not that they are un catchable during high pressure but it seems like you have to work them a lot harder to get a reaction. 2c