• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

New outboard

harvey lee

Proping it for a heavy load may overrev with a light load. You can always just have two props. It only takes a second to change them. I two stroke DFI will beat the 4 stroke out of the hole and have a similar top end.

I called Mercury and also talked with Jay at Soderbloom's. Discussed what I could do prop wise to get a better hole shot and not lose to much on the top end when I have 3 bigger guys in the boat.

Both Merc and suggested the same thing, change the prop down 2 steps farther in pitch.

They said I will lose about 4 mph on the top end but I will have plenty to get up on plane loaded heavily.

Last winter I had Jay add 3 vent holes to one of my props and that did help but just not enough with 3 large guys in the boat.

I will have to watch my rpm's with this prop but it will get the job done with a heavy load. For the few times a year I have 3 big dudes in the boat, it beats spending thousands for a new nmotor for a simple hole shot.

So, I will have the prop with the vent holes and that works great with 2 in the boat. When and if there are 3 bigger fellows, I will just change the prop.

If this does not work well, then I will go to the 75 Merc 4 stroke but they all but assured me it will take care of the hole shot issue.

Toitally changed both numbers on the prop.

Wishing, I already tried that.

When I bought this boat new 6 years ago, I should have had them put a step larger motor on it and I would not have had these issues. Live and learn.

Thanks for all the advice.

I called Mercury and also talked with Jay at Soderbloom's. Discussed what I could do prop wise to get a better hole shot and not lose to much on the top end when I have 3 bigger guys in the boat.

Both Merc and suggested the same thing, change the prop down 2 steps farther in pitch.

They said I will lose about 4 mph on the top end but I will have plenty to get up on plane loaded heavily.

Last winter I had Jay add 3 vent holes to one of my props and that did help but just not enough with 3 large guys in the boat.

I will have to watch my rpm's with this prop but it will get the job done with a heavy load. For the few times a year I have 3 big dudes in the boat, it beats spending thousands for a new nmotor for a simple hole shot.

So, I will have the prop with the vent holes and that works great with 2 in the boat. When and if there are 3 bigger fellows, I will just change the prop.

If this does not work well, then I will go to the 75 Merc 4 stroke but they all but assured me it will take care of the hole shot issue.

Toitally changed both numbers on the prop.

Wishing, I already tried that.

When I bought this boat new 6 years ago, I should have had them put a step larger motor on it and I would not have had these issues. Live and learn.

Thanks for all the advice.

Hi Harvey,

I've been in your shoes before when I bought a new boat way back when.... It was sold with a 75hp Johnson and with two in the boat it would take forever to get it to plane. Two years later I re-powered the boat with a 90 hp Johnson and what a difference that was. Three in boat and could pull two water skiers. The engine block was twice the displacement. I've never under-powered a boat after that, they have been bought with max power. My last boat was priced with a 115 hp Yamaha 4-stroke at a nice entry price, but I knew I wasn't going to be happy with it. After some research I found that the 150 hp was actually more fuel efficient then the 115 at the a nice cruising speed, plus there is a whole lot more top end when needed.