• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

New outboard

harvey lee

When I purchased the last new boat, I under powered it with a 50hp 4 stroke. I love the motor but when I have 3 in the boat and want to get on plane, I am a bit short. Yes, I have reproped it also.

When there are 1 or 2 in the boat, it preforms great, just a bit short with 3.

So, I am going to put a 2013 merc 75hp on it.

Would you go with a 4 stroke or stay with a 2cyl? I do troll alot with my 50hp and I am concerned I will still be able to troll down to 1mph with a 75. I have no problem putting a trolling plate on the motor. Yes, I can use the trolling motor but I love to use the steering wheel, just more comfortable for me when I troll for longer periods, like all day.

How much noiser is the one than the other?

Fuel mileage much different?

Harvey

go get a e-tec and your worries are over

you will have power!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

you will be able to troll!!!!!!!!!!

and its fairly quiet specially at trolling speeds you can talk over at high speeds to ..but its not as quiet as a honda

To me its just a no brainer

guys are going to tell you they break and this and that and my buddie had this happen and so forth

I own one and will never have any thing else

mines a 150 and it pushes me out of the water right now with just me or 4 people in the boat and the boat is 21ft glass boat i think its like 2100lb empty

I can troll foward about 2.5 on flat water pulling cranks

if you want to go real slow i use terrova of course I can back troll without much chop on the the water no need for a plate i can back troll and have all day and it never loads up

also remember its maintenance free the first 3 yrs and it truely is and I'm proof of that

if you buy before the end of march you get6 yr warrenty

plus they look nice you dont have some big clump of motor hanging on the back of your boat

I'd give you a ride but the water is kinda of hard..lol

but i could go out and turn the key and way we could go !!!!!!!!!!!!

I have ran a Mercury 4 stroke for 12 years without a single issue. The four stroke is the way to go IMO. No oil to mix, starts the first turn, even after sitting all winter.

No fumes to smell while trolling, the gas usage is minimal. As far as trolling, I don't know. My old 4 stroke 50HP would troll very easily, my new 115 4 stroke can troll to about 1.8 to 2.2 mph when needed, depending on wind. But, I have a kicker motor I use for trolling so I don't use the big motor.

Change the lower unit and oil once a year and your good to go. I wouldn't put anything but Mercury on the back of my boat.

I'm sure each motor out there these days are fine, But I'll go with what has served me well.

Mike

Never say never, but I'll probably never run a 2 stroke again. Love the better gas milage and no oil reservoir or mixing. I realize that 2 strokes have evolved out of necessity but to me they are an imitation.

Oil changes aren't cheap though and I change it twice a year in my garage. I'm sure I use more oil in the crankcase than I did mixing into 2 stroke gas but it's still worth it, IMO.

I tried to look up decibel levels for the two and couldn't find any information so I'll have to go with my experience. Both at idle and running wide open the 4 stroke is quieter by a long shot. I had a Yam 175 HPDI and when I fished with my buddy with his Yam 150 4 stroke it was way quieter running wide open. Maybe not the biggest deal running wide open but for trolling I'd pick the quieter one.

I guess I'd throw in the the Optimax will be $1500-$2000 less expensive? That could be a factor.

If we're voting I'd go 4 stroke for easy of operation and noise level. I do hear you on being underpowered when you fish more people. "hey Jim hop up front so I can get the boat on plane." That stinks.

Harv, don't be afraid to look at the Etec. Very quiet and fuel efficent, plus the light weight will make the boat handle better.

No matter what you do, you can't go wrong. I'd probably base my decision on price and dealer service instead of motor color or 2/4 stroke. A 'Zuki would be a great choice but their price and dealer network up here leaves alot to be desired.

I tried to look up decibel levels for the two and couldn't find any information so I'll have to go with my experience. Both at idle and running wide open the 4 stroke is quieter by a long shot. I had a Yam 175 HPDI and when I fished with my buddy with his Yam 150 4 stroke it was way quieter running wide open. Maybe not the biggest deal running wide open but for trolling I'd pick the quieter one.

I guess I'd throw in the the Optimax will be $1500-$2000 less expensive? That could be a factor.

If we're voting I'd go 4 stroke for easy of operation and noise level. I do hear you on being underpowered when you fish more people. "hey Jim hop up front so I can get the boat on plane." That stinks. [/quote-*

I have a t-8 kicker

and the e-tec at idle or trolling is quiter than the kicker

My plan was to stay with a 4 stroke as the 50 I have now has been a very good motor, cheap on gas, trolls down very nice but short on power with 3 in the boat and all the gear.

One Merc dealer said the new 75 merc's are very quiet, not as quite as a 4 but close. I do like the idea of not having to add oil.

Only reason I am going to go up in HP.

Is one or the other have more power as far as hole shots, I would assume the 4 would not be the best. I know I could prop it differently but not looking to mess with too many props.

you could go just up a little with an e-tec still have power

and not add much weight

60 would probably do you fine and still troll like a charm

you will love to listen to e-tec purrrrrr

just like a race car motor!!!!!!!!.....lol

Proping it for a heavy load may overrev with a light load. You can always just have two props.

Or just back off the throttle like I do. smile

I don't miss the 1 or 2 mph loss when not running WOT on a light load.

Actually, I went slightly under propped to get a better hole shot and better trolling then had the prop double cupped to add a bit more top end. It's still a little short and will over rev by a couple hundred RPM at WOT under a light load but I'm fine with not running WOT.

Just saying, it's another option.

I have 2 props now for the motor I have, 1 for when I am alone or with another 2 guys so I can get a better hole shot. But, wiith that prop, I do have to watch my RPM's as it will go over the suggested RPM's Merc would like to see for a max on this motor.

It does help but it still is a tad short for getting back on plane.

I went so far as to have some work done to the one prop for the heaver load and it helped but it's still short.

I fish by myself or 1 other 80% of the time so overall, it works pretty good, but, those few times a year when 3 of us go and do the larger bodys of water, it's a pain.

Only avenue I see is more HP.

I have the 2 stroke 75 it is from the late 90's I don't know if they have changed them over the years. It is not any thing for trolling. But other then that I have no complaints. It will push my pro sport 41 mph yet at 225lb it will pull me out of the water very ez

Go with the 4 stroke

Dan

Harvey....FORD!!!

Seriously though. I just dropped my pitch down so that I get better hole shot with 4 guys and gear. It made all the difference on my 90hp 4-stroke. I mostly keep my original prop on but put on the new one the 20% of the time my boat is loaded. I just watch the tach to make sure that I don't over-rev, but then again I don't go full throttle very often so it's not a big deal to me to lose a little top end.

Do you have a 3 or 4 blade on your motor? I installed a 4 blade last year and it improved all around. I have a 115 merc 4 stroke, I was also thinking about going bigger. Give the guys at prop md a call and tell them what your looking to do. They help me find what I was looking for.

Harvey, I work on these things for a living and will tell you you will not be happy switching from a merc 4 stroke to a 75 hp etec. The guys saying get an etec on here are running v6 size engines and they are smooth, but the 3 cyl etecs will make your hands hurt holding on to the steering wheel at idle, they shake like crazy. As far as a 2 stroke 75 merc they are opti max engines and they are nice, but more noisy than a fourstroke engine. With jumping up 25 hp you will notice a lot more pull in the bottom end with the larger block of the 75 fourstroke engine. Yamaha also makes a very nice engine, but if you stick with a merc your controls would be able to stay the same to save a little coin.

I understand what you are saying when you say to drop the pitch.

I have done that a little and it did help a little but I lost on the top end. I do not want to drop any more pitch as I will lose more top end.

Trouble is I purchased this boat new thinking the 50 4 stroke was enough power. It is for myself but the boat is simply underpowered.

Thanks tlbigstump, I am going to go with the 4 stroke merc. I really have no need to change out controls and I have been happy with the Merc 4 stroke I have now except for lack of HP.

Thanks all for the ideas. I am going shopping.

Harvey, I work on these things for a living and will tell you you will not be happy switching from a merc 4 stroke to a 75 hp etec. The guys saying get an etec on here are running v6 size engines and they are smooth, but the 3 cyl etecs will make your hands hurt holding on to the steering wheel at idle, they shake like crazy. As far as a 2 stroke 75 merc they are opti max engines and they are nice, but more noisy than a fourstroke engine. With jumping up 25 hp you will notice a lot more pull in the bottom end with the larger block of the 75 fourstroke engine. Yamaha also makes a very nice engine, but if you stick with a merc your controls would be able to stay the same to save a little coin.

I had a 60 e-tec and it ran as smooth as my 150 does