• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

anchoring a fish trap

Garyk

I have used my Fish Trap Pro for a number of years and love it for solo trips. I fished out of a friends Guide a while ago and wished I had one for when I go with another person. This past weekend I bought a Nanook Thermal for those buddy trips. I have never anchored my Pro but expect I might need to secure the Nanook on windy days. Where/how do you attach the anchor ropes to the house?

I put an eye bolt through the top of my sled and reinforced the back of the plastic tub with a piece of 1X4 painted black for cosmetics. I then drill a hole in the ice and stick a 2x4 down there with a rope tied on to it. I tie the other end of the rope off to the eye bolt on the shack. Keeps the shack from blowing away and cost only a $1.

I put an eye bolt through the top of my sled and reinforced the back of the plastic tub with a piece of 1X4 painted black for cosmetics. I then drill a hole in the ice and stick a 2x4 down there with a rope tied on to it. I tie the other end of the rope off to the eye bolt on the shack. Keeps the shack from blowing away and cost only a $1.

Pictures?

I mounted 2 eye bolts near the top of the back side of the sled on my Yukon. I didn't use a 1x4 backer as mentioned above, but I did use large washers. I then use a couple cam straps with ice angel anchors.

I have two eye bolts supported by washers and have some 3/16 rope tied to 2x4's that are just wider than the hole and if I can't take them back so be it, there's a 2x4 floating to shore come spring time...

I have two eye bolts supported by washers and have some 3/16 rope tied to 2x4's that are just wider than the hole and if I can't take them back so be it, there's a 2x4 floating to shore come spring time...

An easy way to make sure you get the board back is to nail/fasten one end of the rope to one end of the 2x4 and run the rope back out the hole along with the other 3/16 rope. When it's time to go home just tug on that rope that is attached to the end of the 2x4 and it should come right out without having to cut anything or dig your arm down in the ice hole like I've had to do on occasion.

Thanks for the ideas! Never thought of some of those. I put eye bolts in both my sleds to attach the rope/hitch to, complete with plywood backing. I'll to that to the rear as well and have the perfect tie down points.

As always, good information and help on here!

I haven't used them but am thinking of picking up a pair of Digger Ice Angels. They look like they would be a slick addition to my setup. Anyone have any testimonials on them?

CA

Sorry MattL. Didn't see your post about the ice angels. How do they work for ya?

I have the Angels and they work great! One thing I make sure to do is to finish the hole after I'm done fishing. That way the hole can refreeze and not leave a danger on the ice for someone walking.

I haven't used them but am thinking of picking up a pair of Digger Ice Angels. They look like they would be a slick addition to my setup. Anyone have any testimonials on them?

CA

Sorry MattL. Didn't see your post about the ice angels. How do they work for ya?

I like them overall. I had the house up in the high winds last Saturday and they held fine until I called it quits to prevent damaging my whole house. Obviously they are not an option on early ice. The only other issue is when you have melting or cracking ice and the partial hole fills with water.