• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Supplements

fishersofmen

Does anyone here take supplements to increase their fitness levels?

What have you taken that has given you good results?

I have spent literally thousands of dollars over the years and have come to realize many of the supplements on the market are simply alot of hype. Some of the products I have used however have been quite effective. I take protein supplements daily and cycle on and off other things like creatine, arginine, alanine, glutamin, etc.....

In the end obviously diet is the most important thing, but I believe supplements certainly have their place.

• Replies 51
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

i use to use a lot of the pre workout supplements probably did for 6 years then i stopped and realized they really did nothing but give me a little energy faster but thats it nothing some running to increase your heart rate cant do

I looked into alot of that stuff back in the day but never bought into it. I know some of it does work and can help build muscle mass but I always figured the healthiest way of doing it is through your diet and not artificially altering the chemical levels of your body.

Back in college i knew a lot of guys using creatine and similar products. I will offer one word of caution based on what I've seen with them. When you stop lifting the extra bulk you put on with the supplements seems to turn to fat very quickly. I don't know what it is but the guys who took it ballooned up once they dropped their workout levels. The guys that didn't take it put on a little weight like everyone does but nothing like these guys. Not sure if it was coincidental but there seemed to be a pretty strong correlation.

I took creatine for a long time its a decent supplement your body actually produces a small amount and you can get it in meats and other foods. Pretty much what it does is hold water in your muscles giving you that more ballooned look, having that extra water also helps some with recovering faster, but like any supplement take it smart, i had friends that took it and didnt drink enough water its very hard on your kidneys then. Personally i never had any issues

I wonder if they were using weight gainer type supps which are very high in calories and carbs? I know with creatine the weight you gain is water weight. This floods your muscles and increases strength which in turn can help you to build muscle size faster. When you stop taking creatine the water weight you have gained, maybe 5-7lbs is simply expelled from the body. IMO creatine is the best supp for building muscle outside of protein. For someone not looking to add size its definitely not the right supplement to take.

What mrklean said lol. Great minds think alike....

I'm sure they were using various supplements beyond creatine. Seemed like the more different types of things the guys used the worse off they are now.

I think there are benefits to be had if done properly and thoughtfully. So many guys (more so in high school and college) just want to get stronger fast and don't think about the short term and long term implications.

I use to take them pretty heavy in college, but as of late ive started to ease off them. I use a PWO once in a while along with a post work out shake with BCAAs and protien. I still take a protein shake a day those as im in kind of a bulking phase.

Not sure if the OP was looking for brand specific or just experinces???

I do use Creatine and find when I am using it - I for sure get extra sets in and dont tire as easily. I dont think its mental. I have tried to lift with and without - and when I am lifting with - it helps. There is newer Creatine that doesnt make you hold water as much. When trying to drop weight I also take some L-Carnitine. Its supposed to help with moving fat out of the system. I do think it helps...but cant say for 100% sure.

Many people use supplements for the wrong reason. Supplements are just that, they are to supplement your food intake. Protein Powders definitely have their place as a meal replacement if you can't get one of your meals in. There is no substitute for food and 90 percent of these supplements available are mostly hype including creatine. A few of the BCAA's and carnitine do give you some benefit but most of the supplements ot there are a waste of money and usually fail to live up to the advertised claims. I've found that Beverly International offers the finest supplements and guidance to natural athletes. They do not offer any sponsorships to athletes and you will rarely if ever see them advertised in any mag but most professional bodybuilders will utilize them to complete their diet formulations. Save your money on supplements and just eat well and often.

Would have to agree to disagree on creatine TR. This product has been proven by natural lifters for years. I have used it since it came out and there is no comparison in strength when I am on it. Obviously the water weight goes away when you cycle off but the fact that it increases strenth no doubt helps build muscle and the muscle fibers will remain. There are countless natural pro's who use it such as Layne Norton etc and swear by it as well. Certainly could affect people in different ways however and there are some that it may not work very well for.

Fishersofmen, I apologize for the generalization on Creatine. it does have some benefit to some people whether placebo or not. I was just basing my opinion on people I have suggested it to and their results with it. Careful about pros swearing by any product as if they are sponsored by that company it works wonders. There are limited benefits to supplements such as Creatine and BCAA's but there still is no substitute for real food. The term natural bodybuilder is somewhat of a misnomer as well. You don't have to be a lifetime natural to enter any of those contests or claim you are. Sorry to come off as being so negative but I have competed against a number of so called athletes and it was just a matter of how sophisticated their drug program was or how long they've been natural. Don't get me wrong though there are some incredibly gifted genetic freaks out there that are lifetime natural but there are far more claiming to be natural that aren't lifetime.

Good Stuff Guys and I agree TR with your assessment on supplements.

As with any Multi-Billion dollar industry company's are trying to improve profits which is most easily done with fillers "dump" in there product lines.

Like fishersomen mentions find something proven that works for you as we all have different goals and reactions to the supplements.

Next question:

TR and other lifters/body builders are you sick of boneless Chicken breast yet and how do you prepare the many 100's you have to eat day in and day out while you train and prepare for competition? grin

Nofisherman if those guys who took supplements and had their bulk turn to fat that is exactly what they had is fat. Muscle can't turn to fat, physically impossible.

That's another interesting one. I recall back in the day when I was playing football in college.

We had a few guys take steriods and it seemed that a couple of the lazy guys who took them and didn't work out put on a lot of weight that appeared to be fat.

Must have been water weight?

Fishersofmen, I apologize for the generalization on Creatine. it does have some benefit to some people whether placebo or not. I was just basing my opinion on people I have suggested it to and their results with it. Careful about pros swearing by any product as if they are sponsored by that company it works wonders. There are limited benefits to supplements such as Creatine and BCAA's but there still is no substitute for real food. The term natural bodybuilder is somewhat of a misnomer as well. You don't have to be a lifetime natural to enter any of those contests or claim you are. Sorry to come off as being so negative but I have competed against a number of so called athletes and it was just a matter of how sophisticated their drug program was or how long they've been natural. Don't get me wrong though there are some incredibly gifted genetic freaks out there that are lifetime natural but there are far more claiming to be natural that aren't lifetime.

I totally agree with you and you obviously know having been in the industry. I have come a long way in the 20 years of working out and reading as far as knowledge about these supplement companies and all the self confessed naturals. I personally think its really sad how Joe Weider and these other thugs have solicited young people who are interested in bodybuilding with a bunch of lies and bull sh!t. They come into it thinking they can look like these guys by taking all these phony supplements that are lining the pockets of these huge companies. Its obviously not a huge secret that all the "pro's" are loaded up on juice, but I agree about many of the "naturals" as well. I know a guy who was a former Mr. MN and he can get pretty built naturally however, some guys truly have superior genetics. I was surprised to hear him tell me about the strict testing at some of the shows he has done. Polygraph tests, blood work etc.....

I have a question,

I have a rather active 15 yo son, he is in football, and wrestling. In wrestling, they have him in a rather intense weight lifting routine, on top of practices, and the actual wrestling. He is having a hard time holding his weight. He eats like crazy, and is still dropping weight. Is there something he can take that is healthy for his age, that will help him keep his weight, and I am sure he wouldnt mind if it helped bulk him up some as well.

Good Whey Protein - probably at least twice a day for him. Take it with good old chocolate milk and have some chocolate milk handy to drink during the other times of the day. The good stuff (protein) is a little expensive - but worth it. His basic issue is burning off more calories than he is consuming in a rigorous wrestling training regimen. The protein will help rebuild the muscle he is tearing down and the chocolate milk will add some much needed calories as well as additional protein. Both will help with some "weight" gain.

Also a ton of different weight gainer supps and high calorie meal replacement shakes that he can add between meals. These are the kind of supplements I think are worth buying. Many of these options can be a relatively inexpensive way to put additional weight on for those who struggle. Will maybe average out to around 2 bucks a shake and they are effective. Also someone with his metabolism and high level of activity doesn't have to worry about getting fat from these I know I never did. The ingredients in these can vary drastically, many are full of garbage that I wouldn't consider healthy but there are some good ones out there made with ingredients that are naturally found in food. Or like Hoffer said maybe just a high calorie whey protein.

Good advice. 2 other quick comments. Check out GNC. They have an excellent selection of Protein products. Its worth joining their "gold club" for a nominal fee - it usually pays itself off with the first purchase and is good for a year. The first week of every month they have specials where its usually buy one and get one half off with gold card. They have some huge tubs of high volume protein powder and if you purchase 2 of them with the half off its a great value and will last a long time. Last, for the muscle rebuild make sure your son gets the protein within the first hour after the workout - you need it right away. if he gets home, has Dinner, does homework and does protein 4 hours later its not going to be as beneficial as within the first hour post workout.

Thanks for the info guys. I did buy him some Whey protein ,and he does use it once in awhile. He drinks it with regular milk. Right now his weight lifting workout for wrestling has been at 6 am, and he would drink the shake right after, along with a breakfast, supplied by the wrestling team. Then the day of school, then right after school, they would run 2 miles, then have practice until 6 pm. Unless there was a meet that night, then no am workout, and no running on meet days.

He started the season at 130, the Dr told him his lowest would be 127 for his body. He has been struggling to keep 127. I do have to admit, he is pretty tone, a lot more then a year ago.

Good advice. 2 other quick comments. Check out GNC. They have an excellent selection of Protein products. Its worth joining their "gold club" for a nominal fee - it usually pays itself off with the first purchase and is good for a year. The first week of every month they have specials where its usually buy one and get one half off with gold card. They have some huge tubs of high volume protein powder and if you purchase 2 of them with the half off its a great value and will last a long time. Last, for the muscle rebuild make sure your son gets the protein within the first hour after the workout - you need it right away. if he gets home, has Dinner, does homework and does protein 4 hours later its not going to be as beneficial as within the first hour post workout.

Hoffer I would run, and run fast from GNC. Trust me you will thank me later. I did the Gold Club bit years ago before internet sales really took off and I did research at workout forums and comparing prices. Even with the Gold Club deal their prices are not even close to many of the great internet sites out there and the GNC brand products are poor quality. Also you can get individual reviews online with most of these products, free shipping, gifts etc. When I place an order its at front door in a few days. I can't believe that place is still in buisness!

Check out Prosource. They make IMO the best whey protein on the planet. Tastes like a luxury shake and the quality is outstanding. The reviews of this product speak for themselves, I now have multiple people using it and they can't get enough. Nytro Whey Ultra Elite I prefer chocholate chip mint flavor.

Thanks fishersofmen - I will check that out! I have to admit I am rather bad at planning on what I need and since GNC is in my back yard its always been easy to just stop by there and get what I need - when I need it. With that said, things like protein powder that are a staple - and I know I will be needing - would be good to just stock up on your site. i will give it a try. Good advice. Thanks