• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Pre hung interior doors

fishhuntwork

I've done it both ways and for me it was a horse apiece. Possibly slightly easier to stain and varnish after installation. Definitely be sure to stain and varnish door trim before installation and take the door and all the hardware off before staining and varnishing. Don't forget to at least varnish the top and bottom door edges even though you don't see them.

Stain after installing but first do this neat little trick....

Put wax paper around the door frame and wall before installing the door. This will prevent any stain from going on your walls. When done staining remove the wax paper.

I always install my doors and then remove the blank to stain it and the jams at the same time. However once the blank has been stained I reinstall and finish the door and jam at the same time. No need to wait for one side to dry before being able to turn it over. I do stain all six sides of the blank when it is off. As for trim I stain and finish that before installing. Some blue tape on the hinges and you save a lot of time this way. Of course normally I am doing multiple doors at the same time.

We always do them first but then again I am spraying them so it makes it much easier. If you aren't careful and good at staining you end up with stain and clear over the hinges. There is really no right and wrong way, just do what you are comfortable doing.

I took two 2x2's, stood the door up on it's bottom n the 2x2's, and screwed two small screws into the top of the door, tied 100# powerpro fishing line to the two screws on top of the door, and then tied the line off to screws I put into the floor joist ceiling in the furnace room. I did nine doors at once like this, no problems at all.

I love the idea of wax paper around the frame, would have made my life a little less stressful a couple years ago when my wife decided we needed to change all the interior doors while the house was on the market.... Oh yeah, use Ez-Hang door hangers when you install the door frames, I did and it took me 5 minutes to get each door hung by the end.

.... Oh yeah, use Ez-Hang door hangers when you install the door frames, I did and it took me 5 minutes to get each door hung by the end.

As an experiment I used those EZ-Hang door hangers just a few months ago when I hung a door at my sisters house. It made life SO much easier, I am now a believer! But I thought they were too flimsy to be the sole method of anchoring, especially with a heavy door; I still used shims like I would do with any other door install.