• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Rosy Red Minnows

LoveDemNortherns

Rosy Reds ARE LEGAL to sell.

Any goldfish is ILLEGAL to use for bait.

I doubt that pet shops are selling Rosy Reds.

Answering the question, are Rosy Reds dyed.

No, they are albino chubs that originally came from Arkansas.

They most certainly do sell them at pet shops. I had Oscars and Dempseys years ago that I fed rosey reds all the time, it was their favorite feeder fish! I got rid of my fish 3-4 years ago but I had them for about 5 years before that and rosey reds were available the whole time I had fish. I didn't fish very often back then so I couldn't tell you what the availability was in bait shops, I've never seen them in a bait shop to date.

Great Outdoors, the bait shop owner said the same as you have said...but he did say they were not raised seperatly or anything about raising them in general. He did say like I meantioned in my first post that they will turn dark after a few years. Very intersting and thank you for your input. I am heading up to the cabin on thursday...I will be getting a scoop of rosies!

Ok, I think we have it down as to what they are...now has anybody had success with them? Moreso than the regular fatheads? I've also seen dyes where you can color live baits different colors. Just wondered if it was worth using or is just more of a gimick.

Ok, I think we have it down as to what they are...now has anybody had success with them? Moreso than the regular fatheads? I've also seen dyes where you can color live baits different colors. Just wondered if it was worth using or is just more of a gimick.

I tried them up on Red last month. I caught fish, but rainbows worked much better. The rainbows are much bigger than the reds. I won't buy rosies again.

They have worked wonders for me and a buddy. We fish lakes in the Mankato area and everything seems to go for the rosies before anything else we use. I think because I've never seen a bait shop in the area that sells them...except the pet store, which had deterred me from buying them...anyhow I love using them!