• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Rosy Red Minnows

LoveDemNortherns

I was up in Brainerd agian this year for the JC tourny and behold, I found Rosy Red minnows again at the local bait shop...I was wondering if anyone knows the legal "ins and outs" of this bait? Example, my buddy was the first one to show me this bait a few years ago BUT, this last summer he was up in the area and went to the SAME bait store that we went to this weekend, and the guy at the store said they were illegal....???? But now they have them again??? Are these only legal to use in the winter months? Does anyone know if they're legal to use in southern MN? Whats the deal? I know they work great in my area but am starting to question if its even ok to use them down here. BTW I live in Mankato.

they are just regular crappie minnows dyed orange. so color wouldn't make them illegal. the trick would be to find a dye that won't kill them and do it yourself.

The original Ruby Reds that started appearing years ago were not dyed minnows.

The DNR really didn't know what they were, or what to do with them, but did ban them to the best of my knowledge.

Whether or not the ban has been lifted, ignored, was only temporary, etc, I don't know.

They originally thought they were a cross between two different species, but don't know how that theory came out.

i wonder if those are similar to the gold crappie minnows i got a few times from scheels, they worked awesome but they only came in once or twice a year mixed in with normal crappie minnows.

Those were probably red bellied daise they often have a gold color

I talked to one of my bait trapper's from Park Rapids earlier today, and learned that the Rosy Reds originally came from Arkansas (like most Golden shiners did).

They are actually an albino Fathead Chub, but not a true albino because they have black eyes.

They must be raised in clean ponds with only Rosy Reds in them to keep their color when reproducing.

If the ponds contain ANY regular Fatheads, all minnows in the pond will eventually revert to their normal dark color.

I have bought a scoop or 2 this winter at a local bait place near my cabin and was told they are albino as well. However I asked if they were raised in a pond and was told they were sorted and very hard to get. The guy said they will change to regular color the older they get. I thought it sounded a bit off. I haven't bought them again since. I was up 2 weekends ago and there was a tank full still. I have heard guys do really good using them, but they didn't do anything for me.

Exactly, makes me wonder if the ones in the bait shop are legal? I am guessing they are...the bait shop I bought them from is a fairly big place right on 371. I really want to know if they are dyed, raised that way, or sorted like I was told.

Exactly, makes me wonder if the ones in the bait shop are legal? I am guessing they are...the bait shop I bought them from is a fairly big place right on 371. I really want to know if they are dyed, raised that way, or sorted like I was told.

They are NOT DYED OR SORTED, and must be bred seperately from all other chubs, or they will turn black after a few seasons.

Rosy Reds ARE LEGAL to sell.

Any goldfish is ILLEGAL to use for bait.

I doubt that pet shops are selling Rosy Reds.

Answering the question, are Rosy Reds dyed.

No, they are albino chubs that originally came from Arkansas.

Rosies are not Albinos. They are a genetic mutation that causes the color. Although there are fathead minnows that are true albino w/red eye the Rosies are not and are commonly mistaken for albinos cause of their color.

And yes they are sold at Pet Stores as feeder fish...

Hopefully a minnow trapper or bait shop owner will chime in. I am really curious now. They may be cheap in a pet store, but the certainly aren't at the bait shop if they are the same confused

Great Outdoors is a bait shop owner in Ely. smile