• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Replace some gear, suggestions?

acarroline

I am thinking about buying some new ice fishing gear. I have a older style Eskimo quickflip 2 house that I bought used, and a Marcum VX-1 pro flasher I bought new. Idea would be to sell both of these and replace.

For the shelter I like the size/weight of a 2 man, but would like just a little more room. Fitting it in the bed of a 1/2 ton truck is a must. Suggestions?

With the flasher I am pretty certain I will go with vexilar, but not sure what level. I typically fish lakes with depths of 8-40 feet, mostly panfish and walleye. I like the zoom feature, but it isn't a must. Just want quality that works all the time and lasts. Leaning towards a refurbished FL-18. Thoughts?

Brother has an X2 and likes it. Will it fit in a 1/2 ton pickup box without having to keep the tailgate down? Heavy, but room is worth it. Any idea where they still have these for sale in SD area?

For the flasher I am thinking about a ultra pack FL-12 with the tribeam tansducer. Like the flat screen, ability to switch with the tribeam, and econmical especially if you get a refurbished unit.

I'm a vex guy, I don't know that an fl-12 is much of an upgrade from your vx. My opinion is that it's a flat screen fl-8. I have an fl22 and love the flat screen, but I REALLY like the zoom. I'd say if you're going vex don't get less than the 18 for zoom alone. I also like the 10ft increments of the 22 over the others.

I have an X2 good house lots of room 1 1/4 inch poles 900 denier tent roto molded polar sled like otter. Great house. Flasher I have lx5, Zoom feature is huge and 3/4 " target separation is very nice. Fl-12 is nothing more then a fl8 with a glare. The 18 is a ok vex unit but your money is not as well spent as lx3 or 5. good luck

Did a little research today. Frabill tekker II Deluxe, Clam Explorer, or Vayageuor DCX ((not sur eon this one). These and the X2 seems to be what I would be looking for. Really like the idea of a Clam. With room in a 1/2 ton being an issue, and plenty of room for 2 guys to fish without being a complete heart attack to pull, what would you recommend?

Also, any idea where they are selling X2/s still?

Clam Voyager is a very nice sized house. There is a little extra fishable space in the Voyager versus the Clam X2, but the Voyager has a 75" pack length and the X2 has a 73". Both are comfortable fish houses and will provide a good chunk of elbow room.

The flat screens of the Vexilar are very nice, but I would definitely take an FL-18 over an FL-12 anyday. Zoom plays a huge factor especially when targeting bottom hugging fish. When you drop the transducer into the hole, it may show that there are no fish. However, with the added zoom feature you will be able to flip the switch to zoom in towards the bottom 6 or 12 ft, and be able to tell if the big red blob on the bottom is actually bottom or if there is a fish that is hugging the bottom. The Tri-Beam transducer is great, but you can always add one at a later date. I would take the money that were going to spend on an FL-12 with the Tri-Beam Transducer and spend it on a unit that has a zoom feature.

The Trekker deluxe thermal is nice house as well. I like the room in my X2. I bought mine used and sold my yukon. I like the size of the yukon as well. X2 is better built though. IMO the older style clams were better. Seat systems and seats themselves. I dn't need new and mine is in very nice shape. I will say you won't want to be treking to far on foot with it. X2 is heavy and I don't have thermal which is heavier. I was going to by a new otter this year but decided against it maybe down the road.You can find X2 used in great shape. Good luck,

Have you considered the Jason Mitchell Thermal X instead of the X2? It's still a full thermal tent but lighter then the X2. I like roominess of the sled with the JM thermal X vs. the extruded X2. You'll have plenty of room for two people and a kid or dog... and it'll fit in your 1/2 ton. Mine does.