• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Rod holders on a snowmobile?

Mike Stark

has anyone mounted rod holders on their snowmobile? i am thinking of the pvc type rod holders. i use long rods and summer sized reels that dont fit in most cases. if they do fit i have to collapse the handles on the reels to get the case closed. this really slows me down when im running and gunning for lakers.

one thing im worried about when putting rods near the back of the sled is getting them covered with snow.

i have a 02 arctic cat panther. i do have a digger auger rack mounted on the rack.

thanks.

full-21032-29109-155.jpg

I have a Skanic Rev-Xu wide track with a cargo box . I mounted Berkley rod holders on the box . They come 3 tubes to a bracket , slotted them for spinning reels . Saves time when we run and gun . You can use a small bungy cord to lock the rods in . We use rod sleeves for the snow . The holders can be mounted just about anywhere . Nice Cat by the way .

When traveling light on the sled I put my fishing rods, small tackle cases, and the ice scoop in a backpack. Having the rods on my back when riding keeps them safe regardless of length. It's a simple but effective solution, cost about $25.00 at a back to school sale.

I'm with Hydro on this. I've come to enjoy using a back pack to carry and protect my gear, plus keep lunch close at hand. grin

Last year I was using an old hunting pack that had elastic draw strings on it. I'd slip the rods in between the strings so I had some above and below the reels and then cinch it down for travelling.

Oldpack_zpsf471a3c6.png

This year I picked up a new pack designed for fishing. So far I'm liking it better since it's far more organized. The side pockets are designed for holding line spools and have sleeves for organizing plastics. The top compartment is roomy for lunch and other necessities. Obviously the lower section is set up for great tackle organization. There is also a pull out cover on the top that you can use to keep the snow off the pack when running. This pack was designed more for fly fishing than ice fishing but it's working well so far. For strapping rods to it: I haven't done it yet but will probably add some velcro strips to ones already on it or figure out a bungee cord system. It shouldn't be too tough.

Newpack_zps38f086f7.png

I actually won mine in a silent auction at a Pheasants Forever banquet. I did however see a smaller version of it at Thorne Brothers on 65 when I was there last time. Mine is a medium Black Moon that has 4 Plano boxes. The small version holds 2 boxes but has a couple mesh rod holders from what I just read on line.

I'm sure they could order one for you if you'd like.