• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Jigging decoy

aquafang

I will jig quite often, but I will also jig very aggressively at times. As Sham said no right or wrong answer and I let the fish decide what they want. Start out slow and passive then work your way up or do it the other way around.

I have also noticed that this year I have been having more success with only one decoy in the hole and nothing else. Not sure why this is but its working for me so I try not to fix it. wink.

It also depends on the lake I'm spearing. If I know one thing works,I will start working the decoys that way and then change as I fish. If its a new lake I will change decoys every 1/2 hour or so until I find what they want. again I let the fish decide for me.

Its strange how they can behave so different from day to day. A couple years ago I averaged 5.days a week spearing. Same spot every day and same time each day. One day they wanted aggressive jigging the next day they didn't. I could find no real pattern to it.

I usually start out jigging alot and if they don't show up I slow it down and see what happens.

There is no right way or wrong way when it comes to decoy movement. I never move a decoy the first 3/4 hr., then I just raise it up 6 ins., jig it slow about 3 or 4 times then hang it back up. you will be suprized how many times a norg will swim into the hole just after you hang the decoy up.

Ive found decoys dont even compare to a red eye wiggler with hooks removed. They will come in and slam it repeatedly until i get him. Even if i miss. I have not seen a fish yet this year that i have not got. I'm using bowfishing equip. And even if thay arrow goes zinging by he will circle around and keep after the spoon. They seem leary but curious to decoys. But not aggressive.

Ive found decoys dont even compare to a red eye wiggler with hooks removed. They will come in and slam it repeatedly until i get him. Even if i miss. I have not seen a fish yet this year that i have not got. I'm using bowfishing equip. And even if thay arrow goes zinging by he will circle around and keep after the spoon. They seem leary but curious to decoys. But not aggressive.

I'm guessing you're on a lake that is rarley dark house fished..

if that's the case enjoy it now... because they will get smarter.