• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

hook set

going4it

I usually let the fish make its original run, when it pauses or stops, I hold the line gently between my fingers and when the line starts going thru. then I set the hook. If that doesnt work I will let them have it longer or take it right away. There is never just one way in fishing, you always need to adapt!!

I do it this way because walleyes will usually only take it down a little ways and then hold it for a little while, most of the time I dont think they fully have it until after that pause.

Assuming that you are talking walleyes the answer is everyday is different. Sorry to not have the cure all, but it really varies by fish mood and bait size. In general I like the let it run, stop, swallow and run then set theory. If this is not working (1/2 the time) you need to either set more quickly, let it run longer or adjust bait size down. After a few misses have people try different approaches until you find what works or the weather changes

I do it this way because walleyes will usually only take it down a little ways and then hold it for a little while, most of the time I dont think they fully have it until after that pause.

I think you are right about this. I lost several the other night because I didn't wait long enough. A nice one that I did land on the dead stick I had been over at another hole jigging and came back and the bobber was gone.....don't know how long it had been down but it was on. Would also agree this can change day to day lol.

Almost all the time I give an immediate hookset for fishing anything anytime.

The only time I don't give a hookset is with circle hooks, just reel up the slack very tight during the initial run and hold on.

There are methods of using live or dead bait and hooking them where letting the fish take might be ideal, but it's been years since I've been in that situation. Unless I'm worried that I have a hit where half of the bait (the half with the only single-point hook) is out of a fish's mouth, I hit the hook set as soon as I think the fish has taken the bait.

Can depend on the lake, Millie I let em run more. LOW/ Red I set the hook before they get to the bottom of the ice, and don't miss many sets. Seems those two lakes they just get on the bait quicker. The other night on Red on the rattle reels they only took a ft before I set, and had all of the bites.