• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Couple questions on predator hunting

I'm fairly new to predator hunting. I just purchased a primos power dogg call to help with my mediocre mouth calling. Has anyone had success with this call? The guy at cabelas talked me out of the foxpro spitfire because of the lack of volume. I will try it out here soon to see if he was right. I know there are better electronic calls but my budget was already maxed at $200. Another question I have is good times to hunt. I've had limited success with dusk and early morning sets. I've tried a few night hunts but they werent at prime moon phases. Based on the amount of tracks and my trail camera evidence, I know Im in a prime coyote area. Any advice would help. Good luck everyone with helping control the predator population.

Volume is only relative to to "distant" predetors....I use exclusivly hand calls...when you set up and start your calling sequence you must always assume that there could be a predetor very close by...to loud, and you'll spook it...always start out with a lower volume call...increase the volume after 5 minutes if you haven't been run over...and then again in another 3 minutes increase a bit more...then hold that volume for about a sequence or two and gradually taper it off until you've decided there is nothing that is interested within your calling range and move on...I've walked out to a set up in the dark many times and as soon as I made the first relativly quite squeal, I've had a critter on top of me or heading right at me at close range....you'll learn as you go....have fun!

Will do....right now, with the very cold temps and an ever brightening moon would be probably the best time of the winter so far...I've thought about getting out one of these nites, but after I'm sittin' by the tv in a warm house I loose some interest in sitting in a cold snow bank...but we'll see!