• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

hockey day minnesota

knoppers

Great day of hockey!!! Those games up in GR looked COOOOOLLLLLDDDD!!!! Especially the Rapids/Benelds game. Gophers and Sioux was excellent and the Wild looked to be very very good. If they continue to play at this level, they will be playoff bound for sure. They are very very deep!

So I might be biased, but I think I had as good a hockey day in MN as anyone in the state.

Started out the day working as a PA announcer, keeping stats and running the clock (sometimes all 3 at once, which was a challenge) at the Highland Central (St. Paul) Hockey Association's Heartbreaker Classic 10u and 12u girls tournament, while keeping tabs on the Gopher Women's team on Twitter and getting text message updates from my wife on my daughter's outdoor JV game at North Dale Rec Center. Between games I'd catch bits and pieces of the HS boys games from Grand Rapids on the TV in the rink office.

Left Highland for a quick trip home to watch the 1st period of the Gopher/Sioux game while I piled on more clothes and got my first year Mite son ready for his outdoor game at Phalen park. Swung up to North Dale to catch the first period of my daughter's Varsity HS game against Minnehaha Academy, then off to Phalen for my son's game and more text updates on my daughter's game from the wife (0-0 tie then a shoot out just for the fun of it) and Twitter to keep tabs on the Gophs. 11 degrees when they dropped the puck on my son's game, 4 degrees at the final whistle. (I don't even want to know what the wind chill was...)

Got home and watched the Wild game on DVR until I got caught up to the live broadcast by fast forwarding through commercials and intermissions, then fell asleep on the couch watching the tape delay broadcast of Hibbing vs Grand Rapids/Greenway girls game.

All told, I saw all or parts of 10 games live, on 5 different sheets of ice, plus 5 games on TV - everything from Mite Cs to 10u, 12u and High School girls and boys, plus the WCHA and NHL.

30 different teams in action of some kind, from very beginning skaters to the best hockey players in the world.

Hockey Day in Minnesota freaking rocks.

Cheers,

RK