• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Car through the ice today

cavalierowner

IMO yes a PS messsage via news would be wonderful, but last i heard vehicles are meant for roads, is updating drivers license exams necessary to educate on this seasonal issue?

sorry, but i live in a world of smart educated decision making, doing things right and safe the first time, & dont believe in short cuts. I understand the notion of "ppl do it all the time" but dont necessarily think that is a good answer.

sadly a tragic event or this family and a bad decision that they will have to live with forever.

.....& i am purely a novice at this stuff but if you dont believe in putting seat belt on while driving on ice then should you not even be on ice in first place?

• Replies 68
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

*snip*

.....& i am purely a novice at this stuff but if you dont believe in putting seat belt on while driving on ice then should you not even be on ice in first place?

There is virtually no benefit to wearing a seat belt on the ice so why would you wear one? You're driving at low speeds and there is no traffic. The seat belt poses nothing but a hindrance in the off chance that you did break through the ice and remain strapped to your seat. If I break through I'm jumping "ship" faster then a blink of an eye. I don't want to fumble around with a seat belt. Occasionally our kids will come out and they ALWAYS come out of the car seats and ride on our laps.

are there any "road rules" when driving on ice like traffic laws on roads or is it purely "do as you wish"? i understand no driving as fast but what a bout ice conditions (bumps), unable to stop (collisions), no true solid ground, no true roads, etc.

.... is there a higher chance of having incident on ice instead of normal road? i do understand much less traffic scenaro...

I'll say this. I've never heard of anybody getting seriously hurt or killed in a vehicle vs. vehicle accident on the ice. I have however heard of plenty of vehicles falling through the ice. You won't catch me wearing a seat belt on the ice.

are there any "road rules" when driving on ice like traffic laws on roads or is it purely "do as you wish"? i understand no driving as fast but what a bout ice conditions (bumps), unable to stop (collisions), no true solid ground, no true roads, etc.

.... is there a higher chance of having incident on ice instead of normal road? i do understand much less traffic scenaro...

I have never heard of "road rules" for driving on the ice, I think it's primarily common sense. In the approximately 48 years I've been driving on the ice I have never even had a close call. In fact, I have never seen a fender bender in all those years. ALMOST everyone I've encountered on the ice has always been at least reasonably careful.

Because I'm extremely careful about when and where I drive on the ice, I actually feel safer on the ice than on the road getting to the lake!

maybe we could get the word out somehow? put some emails and calls into some networks also maybe some of our big names out there like dave genz would be willing to help with this i know he has some safty videos out there that i have learned alot from and he might have some pull maybe get some air time on a few major networks i have 3 kids myself and this rilly hits me and if we can get the word out about ice safty to ppl that dont know or even ppl that think they know but might be wrong about a few things just an idea but i all boils down to common scence and so many ppl are lacking that in a big way

You could make a million safety videos from a thousand companies and products and flood the air waves, tv's, internet, etc. You just can't fix stupid and you can't control luck, and you can't make ice 100% safe. The guy made a terrible decision and a poor baby is dead. Hopefully someone can learn from THAT. But more stupid laws, rules, or legislation is not the answer in my opinion.

A couple more of these stories and it will probably be illegal to drive a vehicle on the ice. You can't legally do anything fun and dangerous these days! Now, back in the day.............

Article in the trib also said that there is a thin ice warning on all hennepin lakes put out by the sheriffs office. Sounds like the baby was under until rescue workers made it there. scary deal no matter what. Thoughts and prayers for the baby to recover.

I just found this thread a few minutes ago, so sorry for resurrecting an old post, but is it actually true that the Sheriff's Office puts signs up on ALL lakes? If so, wouldn't that greatly decrease the utility of those signs placed in areas where there's actually thin ice?!? Just my .02.

That little girl has now passed away. Tragic, loss of life and the father is going to be in some cr..ap facing criminal charges

ichmesir: Vehicles can be covered going through the ice, if full coverage is carried on the policy. My company covers it, if there is a question contact your agent for any exclusions that may apply to your policy. Not speaking for all companies here, only the one I represented for 27 years.

The news this morning, the young child has passed away, tragic, a loss of life and now the father faces the very real possibility of criminal charges.......

ichmesir: vehicles are covered going through the ice, at least the major companies do. The company I represented for 27 years covered this loss if you carried comp on your vehicle. If you have a question contact your own agent and check if there are any exclusions on your auto coverage.

yes,vehicles r covered, i know mine is, i called my agent last year because of the extra warm winter & just asked under the "what if" scenario and told him not that i was planning on taking a change or anything. even if i make it out this weekend when i know ice will be drivable i prefer to walk 100 yards with my gear and get excersise.

my point is there r tons of saftey viedos on boat's and watercraft

atv's and snowmobiles but i dont know of anything about what to watch out for a how to be safe on the ice like safe speeds and what to do and not to do

i grew up on a lake and i know because my famly has taught me very well how to be safe on the ice and in the summer but there r ppl out there that r just getting into ice fishing and possibly dont know other pll that do it so it would be nice if they had a way to learn the basics maybe there r videos out there but i dont know of any all i am saying is if it saves 1 life it is well worth it