• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Car through the ice today

cavalierowner

• Replies 68
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The story in the paper said 1 of the bystanders was a ex-firefighter that helped get the dad, mom, and the 2yr old out of the water. The way i understand the suv roof was exposed enough to place a ladder from shore to the suv. He said "you never put yourself in harms way when there is already somebody in harms way". Iam i a jerk for feeling he is a jerk for not going into the water to help a BABY in need?? I mean, if they could see the suvs roof, the water couldn't have been too deep right? idk..just my opinion

One of the local news stations interviewed 4 of the Mound firefighters that did the rescue, and one of them stated if the vehicle had sunk any deeper, they would not have been able to get the baby out. Don't assume the water isn't deep in those channels. Most channels on that lake are deep enough to accomodate large cabin cruiser boats. Water deeper than the height of the vehicle is too deep for a quick rescue. These rescuers also unzipped there survival suits to allow ice cold water to fill the suits up, so they could get more submerged to get down to the vehicles windows. Time was and is of the essence in an ice rescue, especially for a rescue of a baby. Maybe there wasn't enough time to use any equipment to get it done. The ex-firefighter didn't do the rescue, the on-duty guys did. Just sayin'. The driver was also alleged to have been charged with a BWI in 2004, for whatever it's worth. Senseless.

It would be nice IMO if the local news shows would elaborate a little more on WHY they went through and WHERE. I have found that they rarely do this. Only say the lake and that somebody went through. 9 times out of 10 it is somebody driving through a channel, narrows, too near a aireator, etc. Some poeple have rarely driven on the ice and don't know things like not driving through a narrows area because of the current there affecting ice depth, etc. It would be a nice chance to educate somebody instead of just getting a news story that exites people because somebody fell through the ice.

The story in the paper said 1 of the bystanders was a ex-firefighter that helped get the dad, mom, and the 2yr old out of the water. The way i understand the suv roof was exposed enough to place a ladder from shore to the suv. He said "you never put yourself in harms way when there is already somebody in harms way". Iam i a jerk for feeling he is a jerk for not going into the water to help a BABY in need?? I mean, if they could see the suvs roof, the water couldn't have been too deep right? idk..just my opinion

As I am a firefighter and certified in ice rescue I have the following to say in response.

The most important rule for Emergency Response is personal safety. Putting yourself in a situation such as the ex-firefighter entering the water before rescue crews arrived could have easily turned into a rescue operation not only for the infant but for the ex-firefighter as well. Rescue teams have the gear and operate as safely as possible. The ex-ff did exactly what he was trained to do. Yes there are situations that will make you want to jump right in but the purpose of extensive training is to not become a victim yourself. Look at the positive that he was there to help with the 3 that were pulled from the water right away.

I can understand the emotions of what you're thinking. However, it's a call someone with those skills has to make. I don't believe he was wrong, he saved three of four people. Help arrived that had the right gear to get to the baby. It's a sad story and the driver should be charged.

What a sad situation. Being that the guy in this situation did not learn his lesson in 2004 I am sure he will now. Unfortunately it is too late. He has to live with knowing he nearly killed his entire family and very well might have for sure killed his baby. Sad situation.

Prayers sent for that innocent baby.

I hope that there are some stiff legal penalties in the works for the driver.

But............

The top of the SUV was still exposed???

For Christ's sake, if my dog was in the car I would dive back in to get it...... let alone a baby........

Was this guy toasted or what??? Did he know what was going on???????

Unreal.........

This story is posted in the Metro Forum. It might answer a few of your questions.

Lake Minnetonka: Baby 'critical' after SUV breaks through ice

By Tad Vezner

[email protected]

Posted: 01/18/2013 12:01:00 AM CST

Updated: 01/18/2013 11:11:15 PM CST

A Minnetrista, Minn., resident driving home with a friend Friday heard the screams of a little girl.

He then saw the girl's mother trying to hold the 2-year-old out of the frigid water of a Lake Minnetonka channel. The car they had just escaped -- still occupied by the girl's father and 9-month-old sister, strapped into a car seat -- was fully submerged.

Though the resident, also a volunteer firefighter for Mound, was able to rescue the 2-year-old, who was not seriously injured, it would be many long minutes before her baby sister would be pulled to safety.

The baby was in critical condition at Children's Hospital in Minneapolis on Friday evening, Jan. 18, Hennepin County sheriff officials said.

Sheriff officials received a 911 call just after 5 p.m. The Minnetrista resident reported a small SUV had broken through the ice near the Halsted Bay Bridge.

Within minutes, it became apparent that four people had been in it, and two -- the mother and older sister -- were close enough to rescue.

The resident rescued the girl immediately, then went to his nearby house to get a long pole with a hook. Using the hook, he pulled the mother to safety as well. Dropping a ladder from the shore to the roof of the car, he and his friend tried to save the remaining family members.

But the father would not leave the car, evidently determined to try to rescue the baby from her car seat, sheriff spokeswoman Lisa Kiava said.

Four more Mound firefighters reached the scene

and pulled the father to safety, and one put on a "Mustang Suit" -- a sealed, airtight suit with air pockets used for survival in harsh environments. Several of the suit's air pockets were filled with water so the firefighter could remain underwater long enough to cut the straps of the child seat with a knife.

The family of four, who were not identified Friday, were transported to Ridgeview Medical Center in Waconia, where it became clear the baby was critically hurt.

The incident remained under investigation late Friday. Kiava said it was unclear why the family was driving on the ice.

Kiava said two other cars fell through the ice on Lake Minnetonka on Friday evening: an SUV containing four people on Echo Bay and a vehicle with three people on Excelsior Bay. None of the seven was injured.

It would be nice IMO if the local news shows would elaborate a little more on WHY they went through and WHERE.

I heard one station report they were taking a "short cut" home. Very sad to hear about the baby.

I like to re-elaborate that accidents like this is a big reason why I dont bring babies and small children ice fishing till their at age where they can actually remember and enjoy it. Even if I do bring a child who is able to enjoy such fun it will be a very limited travel on the ice.

Why? Because no matter how safe I think it is I cannot control the force and laws of nature and things are bound to happen. Going to Grandma's house is not the same as going ice fishing.

very sad, i do not believe it was a waste of a life, thats a bit rude, or maybe ur comment is badly interpreted

driver was reportedly trying to take a shortcut with family in vehicle.....why anyone would take a shortcut on ice is completely beyond me, no sense at all

very sad, i do not believe it was a waste of a life, thats a bit rude, or maybe ur comment is badly interpreted

driver was reportedly trying to take a shortcut with family in vehicle.....why anyone would take a shortcut on ice is completely beyond me, no sense at all

To interpret your comment the way I think you intended, I'd have to say it cost the life of a child to enlighten those who don't already know about the dangers of travelling on ice in general but specifically in areas like channels and under bridges. It's been said alot and some hear the message but more will comprehend it as a result of this.

As far as taking a short cut across a lake goes; it's done quite often in areas that aren't as dangerous. I've been on a few lakes where folks plow roads across 'em and consider them a part of the regular winter road system. This is MN.

Very sad the baby died. Its crazy that the family lived on the lake and the father didnt realize the hazzard of the channel. I talked to a good buddy of mine that is a ff and he said the same thing that you are suppose to wait for help. Its a crappy deal no matter how you look at it. Very sad

very sad and it was so avoidable lets hope some ppl learn something from this

i agree the news needs to inform the public how this happend but i dont think many reporters or news ppl know much about ice

and why you should never be buckled in on ice even tho it might be the law

r.i.p little one

very sad and it was so avoidable lets hope some ppl learn something from this

i agree the news needs to inform the public how this happend but i dont think many reporters or news ppl know much about ice

and why you should never be buckled in on ice even tho it might be the law

r.i.p little one

I agree hooked79...I've seen this reported on numerous news stations over the past couple of days and not one of the stations I've seen actually educate people on why this might have happened (driving channels, under bridges, etc., and WHY those areas are dangerous). They just basically state "the DNR says that ice travel can be dangerous, and you need to be aware...etc. etc.).

Such an awful tragedy, and one that grabs peoples attention. To bad it's not used more effectively as a teaching moment.