• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Driving on ice

sage123

Been taking the F250 Super Duty diesel 4x4 out with the 4,500 fish house for a couple weeks now.

Every year on LOW the resort I keep my 5-6k lb sleeper tells me it's ok to pull it out with the F350 crew cab diesel dually on 12 inches of ice.

On lakes with springs it's better to wait until 14-15 inches but know where the springs are before you run across the lake.

We had an f-350 go down on lake Winnipeg. 16 inches of ice, but he was close to the ice ridge, and the area he went through was only 11" .he wasn't towing anything. There s a picture of it in the red river reports section.

My buddy and his father have no fear and will drive theirs out on 12". Personally i think they are nuts. I'm nervous to drive my s-10 out on 12", but he is also the kind that will fish late ice where waders are required to get to ice. Play it safe, or you will be sorry.

I drive my Tahoe out on 11+. .. However, I know the lake VERY well, and know that every place I drive is good solid ice. I never go over 10 MPH either.

I am never at ease, I keep window and sunroof open, and doors unlocked.

Just remember that NO ice is safe ice, and the MN DNR recommends 15+ for Medium sized trucks....If you don't know the lake, best to stop at a local bait shop and ask, or play it safe, and bring your wheeler or sled! No fish is worth the cost of dropping your truck in the lake!

Some guys will say I'm nuts, but my 6500lb Suburban will never see less that 18in of ice.

Am cautious also. Will go out with my half ton burb on 15 ish ice that I know or has been previously well traveled, but off road/unfamiliar areas will always wait till 18 ish. !2 to 15 respectively for the car. Call me nuts, cautious, weenie....dont care. While it was a current situation.....WALKED myself under the ice one time with over two ft close by.....it was really cold wink

i always drive with the door cracked no matter what lake im on or how thick the ice is just takes one of those freak accidents

this is what I do, always be prepared and don't let your laziness effect your life, and check yourself dont assume. every year about 50% of the topics are "when can I drive" "who is driving" "Gull ? driving"

the ice must be much stronger than we think because with the amount of people I see pushing the specifications we have been reading. There should be more cars and rigs that go through.

I agree with the people that said 15" min that is what I would drive on with a nice 350 but make sure your insurance covers your rig in the event it goes through and ask if they cover the removal as well.

I seen a full size truck and two SUVs caravaning out to the middle of the lake on 8" of ice earlier this year. The ice is definitely stronger than most of us think.

That said, I like 14" for my Suburban and 8" for my small car.