• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Running a Vexilar in the boat

cbrunick57

Question for all those who use their vexilar in the summer. I have a graph on the bow/tiller but I want to run my vex as well. I was thinking of mounting it on the bow and mounting the ducer to my trolling motor. The ducer for my bow unit is currently mounted on my trolling motor so I was thinking of purchasing one of Lowrance's selector switches to run the front unit off the transducer at the rear of the boat. Any body have experience running a set up like this? What kind of performance should I expect using my vexilar in open water? My vexilar is currently on a pro-pack so I was thinking of buying a genz-pack and mount the head unit on a ram mount for ease of going back and forth from the boat, plus I remove all my electronics from the boat every night. Any other ideas I am more then open to, I am going on my first full year with this boat, trying to maximize my resources I have available. Thanks in advance, Cody.

If you're looking at mounting the unit in the bow of your boat and also onto a Genz Pack, I would save the money on buying a Ram Mount and purchase a Vexilar Pro Mount. Much easier to take on and off the mount, you are able to swivel the unit and you also save more money.

Just my 2c

I don't see any issue mounting your vex on the bow of your boat as long as it has bottom lock. It may be hard understand what you're reading on your display if you keep having to vary your depth dial.

+1 on the pro mount. I mounted my fl-8 on my trolling motor about 6 years ago. That was really nice but it got tough to see in the light at times. Two years ago I upgraded to a FL-20. Much easier to see on the flat screen. Mounting the Vex was one of the best things I've done to my boat. When the fish are suspended the vex is the only way to go!