• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Corned Beef Question

I've been wanting to try and make my own corned beef for a while. Besides it not being as lean, is there any difference or disadvantage to using a rump roast over a brisket? Very new at this. I have a lot of rump roasts from last year's 1/4 beef in my freezer and I'd like to use them up as we have another on the way shortly. Would there be a big taste difference? Anything I would have to be conscious of in using another cut? Any advice would be appreciated.

Had to delay my experiment. Ironically, I live in New Prague and can't find Prague Powder. I'm going off a specific recipe and didn't want to risk substitution with Tenderquick as I understand amounts would differ, etc.

I know I can order online but is this stuff available at Cub or other common chains? Or is it a specialty item?

I couldn't find it in the western suburbs so I bought it online. The meat market wouldn't sell me any. I don't know if the stores are paranoid somebody is going to screw up and get sick and sue them or what? Maybe there just isn't a lot of call for it, except for us chuckleheads who like to do this kind of stuff, especially during the Winter.

Did you ever end up making corned beef Thunderlund? or anyone?The Mrs went up to cub yesterday so I had her pick up some c beef from the deli for Ruebens, holy moly they dont give that stuff away!! 

I see most recipes call for brisket ( thinking maybe end up kind of stringy) but I do have several chuck roasts,  I'm thinking brining one and give it a whirl..If so how'd it turn out?

Edited by bobberineyes

corned beef is right up there but we are now getting into the season where the sales will start!!  love the ruebens too!!!  but it is one thing I never made from scratch, just store bought and cooked...  go for it bobber!!! 

Wow, Bobber! You resurrected an oldie from the good old days, here! 

I STILL haven't tried this yet - although I have bought a LOT of Prague Powder between then and now.?

I think any roast wold work but you might get a pretty fatty result with chuck.  If you're looking to make corned beef & cabbage for St.Patty's Day and eat it more like a pot roast - a little extra fat might not be bad. But if you're looking to make your own lunch meat or eat it cold, I think chuck would get a little greasy in your mouth.  Corned beef is traditionally made with brisket.

Maybe I'll give this a go - it's almost that magical time of the year - that sweet spot between youth hockey season and youth baseball season when I get to do what I want... sometimes.

Edited by ThunderLund78

1 hour ago, bobberineyes said:

Great call on the chuck, I'm still contemplating it, it sounds fun to give it a try though. At this point I'm leaning on pouring some smoke at it and trying a batch of pastrami,  just have to figure out a way to steam it in the end..

Sous Vide... ?

If not sous vide, then a dutch oven with a steamer thing.

If it is too big for a dutch oven  with one of those folding steamer things then I would dig out my 18 quart roaster oven .  I think they even come with a rack.  

I ended up buying some corned beef at the deli counter this weekend as well,  and you're right - basically have to take out a mortgage if you wanna make a homemade Ruben!  Pastrami sounds great and another thing I've been wanting to try.  We gotta be getting a warm stretch here pretty quick - we've paid our dues.  I think my smoker will keep up OK below freezing, but it's not as fun.

22 minutes ago, Walleyehooker said:

Think Aldi is advertising corned beef roasts and other stores will be soon to. I stock up when they do otherwise its 9.99 a pound at the deli.

they are at $1.99 a pound this week for the points...