• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Preston Trout Center

hookncook

During the Outdoor Recreation Alliance Summit, I met a director of the Preston Trout Center. Good people, really interesting flier they handed me.

The girl described a trout fishing version of a golf course. I'm wondering if anybody did this or heard of it?

I've walked by that place a hundred times or more, and every single time they have been closed. They are open something like 2 days a week for 3 months out of the year. I've decided to stop wasting my time trying to see it.

A buddy of mine recently got the Director Of Programs and Operations job for the NTC... I still have yet to make it there.. I looked for it the other day only to find out it doesn't open til like march or april..

yeah according to their site they have a section of the root that they have sectioned off into "holes".. it's 9 or 18... cannot remember.. fish caught and size determine scores... from my understanding

yeah according to their site they have a section of the root that they have sectioned off into "holes".. it's 9 or 18... cannot remember.. fish caught and size determine scores... from my understanding

I have heard a few things about this, but nothing definitive. Just whispers on the wind.

If i dug through some old convos I might have more. We'll see.

I may add real info to this thread yet!

Nate-forgive me for posting hyperlink.

National Trout Center

According to the director, whose name eludes me at this time, they are going to do an overhaul of the HSOforum this winter.

The flyer has the trout course laid out, but doesn't offer much info on the hours of operation.

edit: it's 9 holes

I'm a bit puzzled here fellas. Is this man blocking off a section of the Root River for his business and denying others access or the chance to fish it?

Can't be.....but sketchy info makes a guys ears perk up.

Thanks.

I'm a bit puzzled here fellas. Is this man blocking off a section of the Root River for his business and denying others access or the chance to fish it?

Can't be.....but sketchy info makes a guys ears perk up.

Thanks.

No.. They just provide a score sheet..

Here are the maps

http://www.nationaltroutlearningcenter.org/uploads/fcmv1.pdf

http://www.nationaltroutlearningcenter.org/uploads/ptfc.pdf

Oh great! Another attempt at making trout fishing into a competitive sport. Will it never end?

Now I THINK I understand the "sport". Soounds sorta pathetic to me, but to each his own.

Just leave the competition OUT of trout fishing please. It missed the entire point. Its too late for other species.

That sounds like a blast! They want me to come over and do a presentation in the near future. I'll let you guys know when so maybe we can collaborate- heck, I'll even let you make fun of my lack of expertise fly casting.

Will that be before or after an excerpt reading from the stream of tears?

well, I won't be showing an excerpt of my favorite trout photos and the places they live.

From the sounds of it, they are really excited to hear about eco-psychology and learn about the success of programs like Reel Recovery, Project Healing Waters, and how I use the outdoors for kids with ASD.

WE will be open April 2 as is the norm for the center only being open in regard to the open water season. I hope that you stop by for a chat.

As for trout angling and competing with our 9-hole course....it is only a competition with yourself and mother nature and is intended to be a gateway for logging angler experience.

AS for angling as therapy....I came in as the new director at the center fully understanding the Human Dimensions of Trout angling including the recreational therapy aspects however do indeed look forward to partnering with you. Kathy never gave me your contact info so please use this forum to pass it along to me.

We also have a new HSOforum and are doing a lot of work with our facebook page. You will have to look it up yourself in order to find us. We offer unbiased information regarding trout angling in the SE. I get out over 200 days a year on the streams and have 10+ years with that level of experience. Beyond that I have over 30 years of trout angling SE MN experience and am only a 30 something myself. I would be happy to talk trout and angling methods; bait, spin, fly, etc.

Further, we will have Minnesota Wild Strain Brook Trout in our aquarium this year that we will be feeding hand raised scuds and i encourage you to check it out.

I am the new guy but i bet I can help you enhance your angling experience in SE MN.

I'm in different to the snow... sure I'm getting sick of it... But last year... snow wasn't even present... come april 1st I was already done with trout and on to bigger things... streams were low... crystal... tiny brook streams were either so low and clear that catching a trout took skill I haven't attained yet.. or already starting to get over grown and tough to fish due to the early warm weather... this year things are a little more normal... While the thaw is happening and the more popular bigger streams are blown out and chocolatey... The smaller tiny wild brookie streams will be high, murky, and much easier to fish when everything else is pert near unfishable

I also hope to make it the the NTC this year as I've yet to actually make itt... Tried earlier this year only to see that it didn't open til April frown