• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Towing with Subaru Outback

I have a 2013 Outback 2.5 4 cylinder and am looking at a small utility trailer. The trailer weighs 500lbs empty and the max it can carry is 1000 lbs of cargo for a total max weight of 1500. Subaru says the max towing capacity is 2700 lbs. I'm just wondering how this car will handle the small trailer? I want it to haul camping supplies and my bikes. Thoughts?

Think about having 4 200 pound passengers with you, then imagine the freeway ramps. Not only will you feel like your moving slower than everyone else, the CVT with the 2.5 will be a little noisier than normal.

Considering you already own the car, I think its more of an annoyance on the occasional road trip than a durability issue.

It will do just fine. The CVT's in those are actually pretty solid (one of the few in the industry that are). I tow a 14' Lund fishing boat all summer with a 25hp Johnson loaded full of gear with my Outback (04' 2.5 with the 4 speed) and it actually does better than my old Blazer did. You are nowhere near the limit with it so you will be fine.