• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Another Cross-Wrap Question

I completed my first cross-wrap this week and I thought it turned out pretty good. I did a fading design with yellow and green with an accent of metallic gold on the edge. I used a little color preserver (CP) on the tie-off wraps to hold them in place while I cut the pattern threads free then I completed the tie-off. I noticed that the CP changed the color some. I'm wondering what others do when the tie off to hold the threads in place prior to finishing the cross-wrap?

Just be sure to put the CP on your tie off also so it matches the wrap. The thread will be darker if you do not use the CP. I have done it the way you have and I also have done it with no CP. Just start your tie off, I use a little more tention on it. Once you get about 1/8" I will start cutting the threads from the wrap, tapper the wrap threads and finsh the tie off.

Unless you are looking for a bleed through affect I would suggest using CP on the entire wraps. If not when you apply the thread epoxy the top colors are going to be affected by the bottom colors. I CP all my cross wraps and I do at least 2 coats. I spent 6 hours on a complex cross wrap and the darker colors bled through in a couple spots and I had to cut the whole thing off and start over.

Thanks for everyone's advise. This site is really great at providing information to others in a timely fashion and it is appreciated.

I thought I would include a couple of pictures of my first cross-wrap. I look forward to any constructive critique you might have.

Just to let others know I only provided CP to a portion of the tie-off wraps (closest to the pattern) and not the pattern itself.

full-1208-29033-img_5722_b.jpg

full-1208-29034-img_571_a.jpg

If you want to avoid CP altogether on the wraps.

Start your tie off before the actual cut off area, I use a pretty high amount of tension here and go about 1/4 inch or so. Stop and take a piece of masking tape and wrap it so it comes to the end of the tie off wrap you have so far. This will hold that section in place while you cut off the rest of your cross wrap. I leave about 1/4 inch or so I can use a razor blade to feather it down so you have a smooth transition to the blank.

I did a few how to thread on close cross wraps and I am pretty sure I showed how I do that in at least one of them.