• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

The simple & useful tips thread for ice fishing...

fisherman-andy

• Replies 66
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

If its really windy outside the house and you have tipups out there, make a 1/2 circle of a snow barrier about 12" high to block the blowing snow from coming into the holes. Figured this one out on Sakakawea a few weeks ago in 40mph winds after a fresh snowfall. The holes were filling up with snow every 10 mins, after blocking the wind I didn't have to clear snow out once!

On my canvas/soft-side portables, I position the zipper at the top to keep them from frosting/freezing up while fishing, since the upper areas, even on a breezy day, is warmer than at floor level.

Hoey

If you forget to leave the zipper at the top and it is stuck at the bottom...cave in the side of the portable to release the pressure. Loosening the zipper becomes much easier to zip up.

Sometimes I just cave in the side for easier zipping.

SM

Not sure if this is the type of info... But my brother got me one of those "Big Dipper" scoops, with like the wood hockey stick handle. I laughed at him because of the price, said he was a fool.... well, about 4 years later and that thing is awesome. I don't even need a shovel anymore to bank, don't have to bend over to scoop holes, have not dropped it down a hole or bend the handle. And even used it to knock on the tranny of my atv to get it to shift when frozen.

I gotta say, that is one piece of equip I highly recommend.

I put two screws through the plastic scoop into my State Fair 36" 1x1 yardstick. I now have a no-bend-down scoop, and a measuring stick for my fish.(although the yardstick is a bit short for my perch!) I was told I could buy one........for $12.99! I am tighter than that!

I am from the prairie pot hole region and it is all shallow lakes here where the depth doesn't get mucg deeper than 10 feet in the lakes. So when i am respooling line at the beginning of the season i put one of those thread slip bobber stops that you pull tight about 30-40 feet of line before i finish with the spooling. Then i put another bobber stop at the end where i would normally fish at. When i get to the deeper water i just pull of the bobber stop that is on the shallow end and i dont have to pull the other one as far when i get to the deep water on trips. It costs a few cents everytime i do that but saves a lot of time on the ice when setting depths. When i return home i just put another stop on for the shallow water.

I fish in a Fatfish 949I. I always found my feet getting cold no matter what boots I wore.

Now I put down foam interlocking pads(like for under a treadmill) I use the a board under my buddy heater to prevent damage to the pads.

My feet stay warm and I have lots of dry floor space.

I believe in glow jigs especially in stained water and at night. I have found that a camera flash is way more powerful and quicker than holding it up to a light. Some of you may use this already.

*DISCLAIMER - USE AT YOUR OWN RISK*

****BE CAREFUL NOT TO TOUCH THE ELECTRONICS, CAPACITOR or BATTERY/WIRES, THEY CAN SHOCK YOU****

It very easy if you are careful.

Take one of those disposable cameras with flash of course and remove the back. You can do this after you're done taking pictures or just buy one and remove the film. Find the location of the small gear that resets the flash. It should be in the middle top area. Its not the gear wheel used to take pictures. Cut or melt that area on the back cover that you removed where that gear location would be and replace the back cover. It will snap on back on. The gear should be exposed. Rotate the gear, push the pic button and wah lah a big flash and a charged glow jig. I recharge the glow jig almost everytime I bring it up.

NOTE: BE CAREFUL NOT TO TOUCH THE ELECTRONICS, CAPACITOR or BATTERY/WIRES, THEY CAN SHOCK YOU.

Once the back cover is snapped back on, nothing is exposed.

If you get cold feet from having your boots on the ice you can pull the floor mats out of your truck to put under your boots to help keep your feet warmer. I know most of my buddies have their original "carpet" mats just laying around in the garage. May as well put them to use!

Seen a utube video of guys using cardboard to place over your tip up he's while fishing in the freezing temps. I just cut out a spot to slip under the tip up just enough so the spool slides through.

Shut your heater down before you even think if shutting off your flasher then you don't gave to worry a burn 5 min later.

Pull your tip up(s) last. It only takes a second for a fish to bite. Could be the best fish of the trip.

Check hso for fishing reports hourly you always get a bite when not paying attention smile