• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Help searching or just help on fishing lines

MyDogRyder

I have been trying to search through old topics but I always get pages of results from the same topic and not what I am looking for. Anybody have suggestions for finding better search results.

What I am searching for now is what lines do most people use ice fishing? Also I have been looking for an article that explains the differences between the types of line. And lastly, how much line do you guys put on your reels. A friend on mine noticed the line amount I had one and said I should take about half of it off. Does too much line relate to the twisting and coiling of the line as it comes off. How do I prevent this?

By the way... I love this forum and how helpful everyone is here! Thanks.

if anything more backing is better, the larger the arbor of the reel the less coiling and memory the line will have....

I run either mono or flourocarbon, and normally back the reels (spinning and fly) with enough to let the reel hold about 40 yards of primary line

I use Power Pro, Suffix, Fireline, etc. as the primary line, but due to the high cost, I only spool 50’-75’ (1/3 to ½ of a 50 yard spool). Since I seldom fish over 35’ deep that’s plenty of line and the way I see it, having 50 yards of line on the spool just wastes money.

To make this work, I use a backer of mono, usually inexpensive 6lb diameter. To fill the spool I measure the braid line and wind it onto the spool FIRST, then tie it to the mono and fill the spool to near the lip. Go outside and turn the line around by unspooling and tying the mono on first and re-spooling. That way the braid line is at the correct level on the spool. When the line wears or breaks, I only need to replace the braid and I can get two or three fills per spool of braid.

Since one is not casting with ice fishing gear, it's possible to fill ou your reel spool with more line. Now if the line is jumping off the spool, then it's probably too large of a diameter for that spool. Then again some lines will spring off more than others.