• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Yetti 8x16 Owners ????

Fishalittle

I am in the market for a new house and have narrowed it to 3 choices, True North, Yetti or Ice castle. I am a current ice castle owner but want to go bigger....so I am familiar with their issues. I need to know how the aluminum frame has held up for those with the 8x16? I frequent red lake a lot and also do a fair amount of camping. I need a good frame to handle those miles and conditions. Lets hear the good and the bad, and also if yetti was able to correct the bad for you.

Thanks in advance!

Really like the no rust concept of the yetti but a little scared of the aluminum in cold weather bouncing around on a big lake like red in snowy or rough ice years?

I put money down on one, should have it in a week or so. All I know is what the dealer told me, he said Yetti did extensive testing on it including dragging it around with the on the frame with the wheels cranked up and putting 4500 lbs of in it to see if the axles and frame would hold up.

Thanks for the info....was hoping to hear from someone that put a season or two on one already. I really like the concept just need a little more history. Going to try and look at some this weekend- hard to find any finished out models.

Good friend of mine bought one a year ago and loves it at the time he was driving a two wheel drive S10 I told him he's going need a bigger truck, He pulled it up to Vermilion from the city's with it last winter he was able to pull it about 60mph. The only thing he had happen to it was when the floor got wet part of the floor warped up. took it in and they fixed the problem. I fished in it and thought it was a very well built house. he did buy a bigger truck to pull it with full size chev 4x4. hope that helped some. have fun looking for that new house.

If you buy a yeti watch the tongue , if it does not come with gusets your tongue will brake off it is just a matter of time it happened to me totaled a $15000. house with no ins. I would stick with steel.

The vehicle in tow should have covered the fish house. Unless of course the tow vehicle didn't have full insurance.

I feel steel frame for a fish house is the only way to go.

A guy at work just bought one less than a year ago and heater is not working, floor coming up and other issues. His was bought from a Yetti dealer that buys the shell and makes them himself. Nit sure if all are that way but beware. This was a bad job. Wiring was done with electrical cord and not real wiring to boot. I would keep researching and look at other brands.

I agree most houses should last just fine. Problem is its hard to keep that road salt off....hence why I am looking at aluminum. Have to say I would of thought to hear more good stories on the yettis though. I mean they have beeen around for a few years now and it seems they must not have much market share or at least in the group of people on this forum...?

I have looked closely at ice castle and the true north ice lodges but it seems the finished yettis are hard to find...they sell quickly it seems?

Ice castle has come along way since their early days but still have quality control blunders it appears and poor frame paint! Sad to see rust when looking at new inventory. The lodges were nice but not sold on the square front and a few of their insulating measures...? Frame was probably the heaviest I have seen though which was good to see.

I am in the market for a fish house or frame so i did some digging and getting good reviews really from all the fish houses.

but does anyone have any info or a HSOforum(i thought there was one) on SHACK RACK fish houses or their Frames??

thanks

I have a yetti 8x16. I looked into ice castles before I decided to get the yetti shell and finish it off myself. I have to say for me it was the best decision. I am very picky and wouldn't be able to own a ice castle without all the imperfections and carpentry work driving me crazy. For one that isnt all so picky it may be an ok choice. Haven't had any issues with the frame but I did have to bring it back up to yetti to get the winch area reinforced with a extra gusset because of a hairline crack on the crank support. They had already started reinforcing this area on the newer ones before I called. They were very easy to work with.

full-26935-29237-image.jpg

They're no longer in business. You don't want a Shack Rack, even if you can find one. Mine was an absolute towing nightmare.

Thats not good......

So....whats the next best frame with hydraulics that raise and lower?

What did you use-lip-ripper guy?

I currently have a 6.5X12 Carsella Shack. Its well built tows nice etc. I like it because I can get on the ice somewhat early. I am looking for a bigger shack and looking at a yetti 8x16 or 6.5x16. I am just wondering if anyone can give me a good guess on the weight savings of a Yetti vs Ice Castle etc. I know Yetti lists their shell weights on the HSOforum. Does anyone know the shell weights of comparable ice castles.? I will be initially pulling it onto the lake with a RZR. I just like the idea of having a lighter fish house. Just want to know if the weight savings is worth the money. Like if the Yetti is like 700lbs lighter on a 8x16 it would be worth it to me. Obviuosly finsihed weight will vary depending on options.