• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Stoaked on my new tent

JackPineGuy

Dudes I’m Stoked on my new tent. I usta always think BIG. I also usta always think expensive. But the last few years I’ve really been hyped on the Eureka brand tents. I’ve bought large model Eurekas but I’ve bought several smaller models as well like the Timberland models were u cant stand up but plenty room ta just sleep super comfy. I set one of my new tents up in my bedroom last night and put the T.V outside the door, ordered up a late night Dominoes Brooklyn style round about 12.35am... OHHHHH have u tried that Brooklyn style? Its ta die for. Man oh man. Anyways i, just gonna leave it up and tmrw im removing my bed and setting up my 8 man as well in the middle of my room. Might put my t.v inside that one and rent the new Dredd remake.. maybe fire up some netflix on the kindle. which brings me ta my next point, when y’all go campin do u leave all the gadgets at home? I mean besides the gps. I do, but the kindle could come in handy if ya got wifi on trips when the wife’s not around, if ya know what i mean. Heyaa heyaa heyaa... Ya i cant wait till spring, found a nice little campin spot right next to the lake, i mean ya can really throw a line out on a cork and just set back in the tent an do sum whittling.. Oh by the way, i fully endorse the eureak line of tents but i dont know how water proof they are. maybe thats discussed in the other thread. Actually the best campin I ever done came in the back of a honda pilot on a recent muskie trip. Also I usta have a gmc conversion van, with a bed in the back and curtains. I usta just roll around and sleep in various wallmart parkin lots and i favored the fairbult super wallmart. specially in the winter, just let er idle and turn the heat on medium. Those were good times. Any way hope yall gettin through the off season. perhaps campin in yer fishhouses. good nyt all!!!!

Cool to hear your into your tent. I do like Eureka, decent tent for the money. I'd seam seal it, I'd do that to most tents, with a few exceptions.

As far as gadgets, that's a personal choice but I spend quite a bit of time camping along the Canadian border so reception is not reliable. I bring a gps but I really don't know how to use it very well, I'll stick with a compass for reliability. Fish finders, well, I'm kind of a simple minded guy (my nice way of saying stooped), so I never got into them so much. Not knocking anyone who brings these things, just not for me. I do lug books in with me, probably cheaper to replace than a kindle. At least that's the excuse I'll stick with. Not sure I'd know how to operate one. Anyway, to make a short answer long, bring what you like and what is legal for the area your going to. Pack it in, pack it out and have a blast.

books!!! I like that, i actually hardly get enough time to read, or at least i dont make enough time to read, so ya. Books would be perf on a campin trip... I actually lost touch with reading as a whole the last 5 years or so, but i feel one of the most simplistic things u can do to keep yer mind sharp is to just read a book. Great idea redlatern

It gets a little slow around here in the winter. There are some hardcore campers on this site but I think a lot of folks are more tuned into icefishing right now. Ever go camping in the winter? It's one of the best times to get away from the crowds and not have to worry about your food spoiling if you run out of ice.

Yeah, 'tis not the season for the camping and RV thread. I'm still busy with camping in the fishhouse, so I don't have the itch yet. Come April, I'll be checking in on this forum just about every day. smile

For what it's worth, I've also had good experiences with Eureka tents. For the $$, they're a great value, at least in my experience. I'm sure you'll be happy with yours!

I have camped in the winter on a few occassions. Last winter we did a 10 day winter trip but we spent the last two nights in the back of an s.u.v because temps dropped 10 below zero. Ive spent more then my fair share of time sleeping in fishouses on bunks and thee ole cot....... I cant wait till aprill. Actually I guess our first trip were renting some cabin down in southern Mn. The wife and kids are comming so we opted for the cabin shelter, I will take my soon ta be 7 year old son on his 1st tent trip this summer, probablly something mild like father hennipen state park on millacs. I may possiblly spend firearms deer opener in a tent. Ive done many bow hunting trips were ive tented... who knows, I hope to be working a lot more hours this summer bassiclly it all boils down to time. Family comes first, work, then the outdoors

Dont underestimate your 7 year old. My 10 year old did his first 5 day boat-in tent camping trip up in Voyageurs Nat'l park when he was 11 months old. On our final trip on Namakan last summer he celebrated his 150th night in a tent there!!

We have a 13 year old Cabela's original XWT tent. It is 9' x 9', which makes it perfect for us and quick to set up. It has endured 60 mph straight line winds on Rainy Lake, and more rain/thunder/wind storms on Namakan/Kab/Rainy lakes than I can remember. Its not the prettiest tent, but it is about indestructible from the elements.

Now that we are starting to take friends of his along on our trips I will be looking at adding a new tent for him and a buddy. Looked at the Timberline as a possibility. How is it for setup? Would two 10/11 year olds be able to do it with a bit of guidance from dad? How is the fly at keeping rain out even in strong winds? Other suggestions for a 2 person tent?