• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Advantages of an ice fishing toy hauler???

MNCPRGUY

I am looking for a toy hauler that will likely see about the same amount of use in the summer as it will the winter. I have been looking at the various manufacturers of ice houses but now I am starting to wonder if I even need holes drilled in my floor. I like running and gunning from my porty, and to be completely honest, the thrill of hearing a rattle reel in the middle of my sleep wore off years ago!

If I open up my search to toy haulers that are not designed for ice fishing, I have a lot more choices. I figure I can still use it in the winter by parking it on shore and chasing fish with the wheelers and portables. If the desire to sleep on the ice exists, I could always park it there and put out a few tipups.

What am I missing? Are there other advantages for ice fishing houses aside from the holes in floor and the ability to catch fish in my socks?

i have one that is both. 7 x 14 with rear ramp door. Sheeted and insulated only. Basically a cargo trailer with drop axles and holes. Very basic, put ATV / Sled / Ranger inside with all the other ice fishing stuff and head to lake. Set up as base camp can fish in hard side house or strike out with portable. Can camp in if so desired with cot, or could make some fold down bunks. I think it is a great system.

I bought a toyhauler/enclosed trailer and use it as fish house. Basically it is a 8.5 x 16 with a 3 foot v-front enclosed trailer. All aluminum frame with rear ramp door and tandem axle. I had the ceiling and walls insulated, put cabinets in, two drop down beds, microwave, heater, air conditioner, 110 lights and outlets and windows. I put (6) holes in it with sleeves that drop down. I had a heavy skirt made for it and it snaps around the outside of the trailer in minutes. Have had no problems with the floor getting cold. Stays 70 degrees in there and heater hardly runs. No problems with the holes freezing up either. Few trips to LOW with negative temps and no freezing of holes or cold floor! I use it as a decoy trailer and use it in the summer to go up north with the atv's. I also haul two motorcycles in it. So it works great as a multi purpose trailer. Weighs in at 2900 lbs so I can haul it with my atv out on the ice.

full-44500-28952-20121227_152339.jpg

full-44500-28953-20120929_180703.jpg

full-44500-28954-20121216_135047.jpg

full-44500-28955-20120929_180607.jpg

full-44500-28956-20121216_144833.jpg

i got a 8x20 ice castle toy hauler and i use it just as much in the summer i love it i can fit 2 wheelers in it and still have room for all the extras

if you were to buy a toy hauler that is just a camper i think you would regret it jmo

i would rather have something that will work on the ice and on the camp ground they do make them with running water if that is what you want

I have it braced and wired for AC but haven't installed one yet. I went to Sturgis in August and with the roof vent open and the two windows it stayed quite comfortable. Planning to put AC on it this spring. I also have an inverter/converter with 12V batteries and cook stove. I left room on the counter and thinking I will install a sink. I looked at some of the ice fishing toyhaulers and the problem I had was with the frame for what I need it for. I run this down some rough roads with couple of ATVs and all the gear and the fish house toyhaulers I think would be tough on them. Trailer is setup to haul a car if needed. All tube unibody construction with floor, walls and ceiling on 16" centers. You could go beyond and make it look pretty sweet on the inside such as cedar walls and ceiling and few beds and cabinets if you wanted!! I just kept it simple for what I need.

The skirting is made of a very tough vinyl material that won't tear, rot and it doesn't stick to the ice. Snaps right on and the corners velcro together. Also made a couple of simple flip down tables that I attach my rattle reels to. full-44500-28957-20121130_191721.jpg

full-44500-28958-20121130_191742.jpg

full-44500-28959-20120929_180729.jpg

I also ordered it with torsion axles with the axles having a 22.5 degree upstart. This lowered the trailer a few inches. From top of floor inside of trailer to ground is 15". More than a drop down fish house but at 15" it still works great.

Crazt, The wife an I are looking for the ex act same thing, we want to use it in the summe also to haul our bikes, ya mind say wat ya go into it as of now? an wat ya it took to start. Thanks boar