• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Which Clam one man?

FirstIce

I'm thinking of getting a clam one man and am debating between the Kenai, Scout TC, or Kodiak. Any thoughts on any of these? I want a light weight portable so the pro is not needed. I have heard stories about the Kenai being a plow when pulling it over snow. Any recommendations?

you could always look at the nanook? I have a nanook thermal but just use one seat in it that I move to the middle of the tub. Its got plenty of room and still easy to pull or load into a truck by myself.

Then should you ever see the need to fish with someone you have the option.

I'm with rundrave on this one. I picked up a nanook thermal this fall and really like it solo. The extra space is nice when I'm alone, but I can still have another guy come along if I want. I rigged it to pop out the extra seat if I don't expect company, but lately I've left it in and folded it flat for a spot to put my jig box and radio.

I can get it into the bed of my pickup by myself, and I am by no means Hercules!

I have the kenia and I really like it. The only thing i did to make it a little more comfortable was swap the bench seat for a boat seat. I think it pulls just fine, alittle harder through the snow but what shack isn't. I also shorten the rope in deep snow to help lift the front end a bit.

I have a Kenai and so far I have no complaints about it. I also swapped out the bench seat for one of the Clam padded backrest seats and it makes fishing a lot more comfortable and enjoyable. If you over pack your sled (auger, minnow bucket, rods, flasher, heater, extra propane tanks) it can get up there in weight. Pulling through the snow with all of that gear can be kind of a hassle and make the mobile fisherman less mobile, which is the exact opposite reason why people buy one man fish houses in the first place. If I know I'm going to packing a lot of gear for that day, I'll hook the Clam pulling harness up to my sled and that makes a World of a difference because you are able to use your upper body as well as your leg drive to pull the fish house with ease instead of having to pull the fish house by only using your hands.

If you're looking for the lightweight and mobile fish house, I would look at the Scout TC or the Kenai in that order. IMO the scout will be much easier to pull due to the lower weight and smaller size. You can't go wrong with either fish house in my opinion though.

I also have a Nanook Thermal. I carry a lot of gear when I go out. I took out the seat closest to the rear of the sled and left the other seat where it is. It pulls better when loaded heavy on the rear end. I also have the runner kit installed on the bottom and that really helps. I have the pulling harness, but rarely use it. The straps that came with the harness kit are long and I just loop it around my waist and that works really well. I move around when I fish, but not as much as a true runner/gunner. I am happy to sit for awhile and enjoy my time on the ice. It is the perfect house for how I fish. Just wish it would fit in the car and not have to use the suburban all the time.