• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

New to coyote hunting

I have never hunted coyotes however want to give it a try this weekend. I hunt a piece of private land for deer in Kandiyohi county that has a slough, woods and a small hay field. I was thinking of heading out there Saturday night and blowing on a predator call to see what happens. I have seen tracks, feces and remains from a few cotton tails on a few occasions. I was planning on hunting 8:00 or 9:00 p.m. for an hour or two. I picked up a Primos double cottontail old school call. I was planning on making as much noise as the call will make and see what happens. Is there any method to calling in terms do you call louder or quieter if coyotes start to come in (more or fewer bursts)? Is a 12 gauge with buckshot workable or would I be better off shooting my 10 .22 with iron sights? Just looking to try this and expect to make many mistakes but I just have to try it. Any help is appreciated. Thanks.

Great !! yote hunting can be very addictive but the here is a few things i like to do .

i go out to where i plan on hunting and let a locater call go "coyote howl" and see if they respond and howl back if you dont get a response i tend to move on till i do but you can set up and see if there is a few in the area just not wanting to respond. sometimes they do that too but they will respond to a injured animal.

get set up in the wind as if you were deer hunting there noses are very good as well as there eyes. let your distress call rip i tend to like to do a panic burst for maybe 2 min then stop let your call go loud then soft then loud then soft kinda like a dieing rabbit will do. try that for 20 min in 2 min intervals. if nothing shows up ..move on to another spot. if you see one and hes B lineing towards you or your decoy stop the call and let him look for it if he tendsw to stop and go another direction let the call rip again till he turns around and starts coming towards you again. when there in motion to you remember stop blowing the call and make them look for it . play on there curiosity!!! then when there in range "BANG" ...hope this helps ....good luck to you