• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Deer Fat

For those of you who butcher your own deer, the birds love the fat in the winter. I just looked out at my suet feeder to see multiple birds feeding off of it an it's about time to fill it again. I don't do anything fancy, just take the fat off in whatever size chunks it comes off on and throw it in ziploc bags in the freezer until it's time to use it.

It is amazing how they'll clean that rib cage down and it's fun to watch. I was kind of disappointed this year in that I was only able to trim off about 2 zip loc bags of fat from the deer we got. The does were shot early in the year so not much fat on them and the bucks usually don't yield much. I might actually have to buy suet for the birds this year which would be an unusual thing.

I wonder some how much fat is on them, some of them, my dad reported last night 10 deer coming to his bird feeder, he's lived in the same place for ever and this is the first winter he's ever had them in the yard, with everything plowed up around there with that layer of ice/snow digging maybe taking too much energy to find what little is there, lots of browsing and wandering. I wouldn't think they'd want to travel that far for a handful or less of birdseed, unless they're finding little to nothing elsewhere. Good to see 10 in a pack though !