• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Wheel house heater

skyhawk

Looking for a heater for my wheel house that I'm finishing. Its 6 1/2 X 12 plus vfront. Been heating it with a sunflower while working on it and that heats fine. Found a heater thats 30,000 btu which I figure is way overkill. Question is that going to be a problem, will it cycle too much? Any other problems?

Thanks

I run an Empire Hearthrite Ventless 20,000 btu (with a thermostat) in my 6.5 x 12 wheel house. I like the way it can heat the house up so fast, even when there's a cold wind coming up the holes. The thermostat option is important in my opinion, especially if you plan on sleeping in it. The thermostat control dials the flame down to lower btu when it's close to the desired temp, but can really crank up the flame to get it there fast from a below zero temp.

I have a 20,000 btu Blueflame Ventless in my 16' wheelhouse and it's way more than enough, I could've easily gotten by with a 10,000 btu. If it's 20-30 degrees outside even on the lowest setting it's too hot and hardly ever kicks on.

I run an Empire Hearthrite Ventless 20,000 btu (with a thermostat) in my 6.5 x 12 wheel house. I like the way it can heat the house up so fast, even when there's a cold wind coming up the holes. The thermostat option is important in my opinion, especially if you plan on sleeping in it. The thermostat control dials the flame down to lower btu when it's close to the desired temp, but can really crank up the flame to get it there fast from a below zero temp.

The 10,000 btu ventless heaters are made for ice houses and have a built in themostat but they also have a design flaw the temperature sensing bulb is located on the bottom of the unit where the cold from the holes is so they don't function properly if you get one reroute the temperature bulb so that it mounts on the wall a foot or so above the unit and it will cycle off and on like your home furnace. I have a small wheelhouse and anything over 10000 is way too much ater I figured this out it works great.

I have a forced air furnace in mine and I love it. The heat is very even through the house without using an additional fan. The downside is that it needs 12volt to run the furnace. I run a gen. so it's not an issue for me. You might be different. My son has one of the ventless ceramic heaters and needs to run a fan to get the heat to the back of the house. He likes it but I can only be in his house for a few hours till my eyes start burning.

When you run a vented heater, with a thermostat that mounts to the wall, are there any batteries needed? Im in the market to buy one but have no idea what sends "the signal" to the heater to fire up. Also, I have a 6x10 wheel house that has 1.5 inch insulation in the walls and roof, and 2 inch in the floor. How many btu's would heat my house comfortably?

I have an Empire DV 215 - 15,000 BTU vented with a wall thermostat($500-600) in my 8 x 19 and it is perfect.(No elec. needed) Ventless - I would go with a 20,000 BTU Mr. Heater ($179), but you have to make sure you crack a window to have enough oxygen. Suburban vented furnace with a blower ($425@MilacaUCF) 20,000BTU 12v needed. Personally, if you are going to sleep in it I would go vented. You will also have alot less moisture build up with a vented vs. ventless. Carbon monoxide detector forsure regardless of heater style. Stay safe/ catch fish.

Good point about the moisture with a ventless heater. As I posted earlier i have a ventless heater in my house and it does produce alot of moisture. I always have a window cracked open and also have a CO detector for peace of mind, even though its supposed to be ventless.