• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

2013 Vikings roadmap

BuckSutherland

For 2013, the Vikings shouldn't draft a QB. The draft class is simply too weak, with more promising QBs likely available next season. They need receiver talent, and if Harvin doesn't want to play here trade him while you can, get something of value for him. The WR free agent market isn't fantastic; Dwayne Bowe, Greg Jennings, and Mike Wallace would be the top choices but all would cost a pretty penny. I would look elsewhere in the free agent market and try to draft talent at the WR position. The situation at cornerback really isn't much better on the free agent market.

Really free agent wise the Vikings are looking to add depth (depth and experience at QB is most vital). Draftwise they need to address WR most pressingly. After that it's defense for a while, LB and CB are still big needs. And as always, you need an obligatory pick on both the DL and OL just for depths sake. Just looking what's out there, I don't think the Vikings can hope to significantly improve next year. They should make marginal improvements and focus on developing players. 2014 they could really fill out the roster and have a good team, but I just don't see 2013 as a good year to improve your team with. At least it's the same for every other team in the NFL though.

• Replies 54
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Nice post Nick. If the Vikes can fill the WR role...at least address it significantly in FA...they should be set up for another nice draft.

Spielmans pick at QB last year is going to make him have to over-pay dearly for one of the top 3 FA WR's this year. Let's see if he does it...or, if any one of them opts to play under Ponder even if he does.

I think it's a long shot.

I think their decision comes down to keeping a franchise guy like K. Williams or letting him walk and signing the receiver. Winfield maybe on the block too with his salary. I'd let them both walk to get the receiver they really need. It sets up their whole draft moving forward...

Some very good D-tackles and LB's to be had in round 1 and 2...PAY for the FA WR and go into the draft taking either the best DL or LB or any combination of the two in rounds 1 & 2.

K Williams has said he will re structure his contract if the Vikings ask him too. I think Williams still holds his own, and would be hard to replace with someone cheaper, that is proven.

Not much in the draft as far as QB, I would hold off on drafting a QB this year, and just find another has been to back up Ponder this season.

Wide receiver must be addressed, in the mid rounds of the draft.

Percy needs to buck up, he has 1 more year left on his contract, if he wants to game in MN, extend it, if he wants to be high maintenance, trade him for another 2nd round pick, rather then having him bring down the locker room. They should also find a decent possession receiver in FA to add to the team. Keep Wright, since he was the only receiver on the team with any upside.

DE, I dont think we address DE, this is not a weakness. Sure JA had a average year, and is being paid big money, but he has a motor, and keeps the QB on their toes. He will have a come back year this year. If JA is willing to restructure great, if not, look into it next season.

DT, we need to strengthen the line. I think DT needs to be addressed in the top 3 picks of the draft.

LB, We need a stud LB, I am thinking 1st round, or second here. Taking BPA for needed position in the first. Then pick up a few more from LB in FA, and fill them in.

Oline add some depth.

DB, we need to find another playmaker in the back field. Whether we addree it in the draft, or FA, we need to have some one that can stop those passes and cover.

Defensive coaching, while our D was ok this year, I dont think we need to change out coaches, but we do need to have a little better plan on the field.

Offensive coaching, I just hate our offensive plays. I am not sure whos system it is, but it needs to go. I want to see more play action, I want to see, a double back formation, and fake hand offs to Peterson. We have had some very good TE in recent years, why does the ball not get thrown to them, since our QB is throwing 30 yard Hail Marry passes? Utilize the TE, more play action, get a couple receivers that can catch a ball when it hits them. Bring back the slant pass. I realize it is a risky pass, and your older receivers dont care for it much, but they are usually good for 10-15 yards.

Head coach, I am not a huge fan of Fraziers. It seems like he cant get along with some players for some reason. But he did turn the team around from a 3-13, to a playoff team, he deserves another chance. He also hasnt made any really stupid mistakes, aka kneeling the ball to kill the clock before half time, etc..

Punter, he does a good job, but he either needs to keep his opinions to himself, and stop going on talk shows, or we need to replace him. We dont need a team spokesman on every political issue out there. I have a feeling he will be replaced this year.

Next season early prediction, 9-7, 10-6. Not much improvement, but I think we will have a better promising group to build around for the following year, and make our run to go deep into the playoffs.

Can almost promise that the need at DT will take a back burner to the teams other needs. Williams wants to finish his career with MN, already said he wants to play 2 more years and is willing to restructure his contract. With Guion and Ballard playing better and getting more time, they have a decent set of DT to rotate in and out. LB and CB are the biggest needs for the defense. Robinson played iffy at best and Sharels proved he is a KR/PR and nothing more. But the biggest problem is LB. Other than Greenway, we haven't had any other backers since he played with Leiber. They need to find an anchorman for the middle. Then draft that safety from Notre Dame and let him and Smith rule the roost for many years to come.

As far as offense...clean house. The only receiver I would keep would be Jarius Wright. Everyone else can go (Percey is a given to keep). Pickup a FA and then draft some SPEED!

The best way to impact that is to blow the pocket up in their faces.

That's not always true. The Vikings applied very little pressure to RGIII in that game on purpose. When they did, RGIII found a hole in the line and went for that long TD run. If the QB or OC anticipate the pressure, they can adjust the play call to escape from some of it which usually ends up as a big play. That's in part to defensive players not being able to maintain their assigned gaps to make the tackle.

Better add with that speed at WR a guy who can catch also ie. you know who you bet T Roy Williamson. In a weird way we may have better WR's than this years superbowl winner NE. Harvin wipes out Welker and I actually can't name the other WR's for NE. But, yes look at Joe Flacco or Kaepernick, those upper echelon Wr's help for sure.

As far as offense...clean house. The only receiver I would keep would be Jarius Wright. Everyone else can go (Percey is a given to keep). Pickup a FA and then draft some SPEED!

Are you talking offense as a whole?

That'd be sweet it they followed your take... we can use Peterson and Rudolph to solidify our offense! Actually I'd take the O line also... you can keep Carlson, Jenkins and the pot smoker... and do what you want with them.... grin

Good Luck!

Ken

Oooooops......No Labs I wasn't talking about the whole offense, just the receiving corps. The O Line wasn't bad this year (as much as I hate Sullivan). Hopefully they resign Loadholt to a decent deal and keep the line in tact. I don't think Loadholt will get huge money as he is an average RT, not elite.

Why do you hate Sullivan?

He had a pretty solid year and is widely considered one of the top 5 centers in the league. I think he's actually the first alternate for lineman to make the probowl which pretty much means he'll be playing in the probowl.

Just curious if you have an X's and O's reason for not liking him or if he ran over your dog, scratched your truck, stole your girlfriend or something else like that.

No X's and O's.....I just think he is very very overrated and would rather see Joe Berger. He struggles with one on one blocking and god help him if he makes the right calls for the line right before the play. Half the time I don't think he has enough strength to get the ball back to Ponder. Its 5 yards and he throws a rainbow to get there. Just think he gets a lot of help to cover up his inability to block DT's one on one. When Birk left to go to the Ravens, that was the last time the Vikings had a center (IMHO) and I am hoping they get one soon.

That's the way I feel about him as well. He must be doing something right though...most people "say" he should have went to the Pro-Bowl and he was 3rd in voting to be an All-Pro as well.

I just don't see it....

That's the way I feel about him as well. He must be doing something right though...most people "say" he should have went to the Pro-Bowl and he was 3rd in voting to be an All-Pro as well.

I just don't see it....

Yeah.....where were those people when the Vikings were 3-13 and didn't have a running back that came within 9 yards of breaking the single season record?

I feel like the center position is one of the hardest for a fan to judge. The center is responsible for so many little things and calls that get made that we never see or hear. They also seem to rarely take on 1 on 1 assignments. It seems they are usually helping one of the guards block the big DT's. You just don't see them 1 on 1 like you do the right and left tackles.

He must have been doing something right to get that many probowl votes. I highly doubt he got much in the way of fan votes since he's a relative no name player outside of MN. I'd assume most of his votes came from the players and coaches who actually know the game.

Thank God he doesn't have to block many people one on one...he gets owned everytime he does.

His snaps out of the shot gun are embarrassing and always seem to have Ponder "reaching" to meet the ball...that should never happen.

I think if you go back and look at some of the biggest hits Farve took when he was here were because of Sullivan, including the one that end his career.

But, he sure did pick it up this year. Never paid attention real close to him. I was usually too busy texting my displeasure of Jared ALlen to my other rubes.

He was better than last year, thats for sure.

Thank God he doesn't have to block many people one on one...he gets owned everytime he does.

His snaps out of the shot gun are embarrassing and always seem to have Ponder "reaching" to meet the ball...that should never happen.

Exactly.....watch other centers and their shotgun snaps. Its like the ball was literally shot out of a shotgun. Sullivans snaps look like they are shot out of a Daisy BB gun that was only pumped up twice. I think Clay Matthews is half way to Ponder before he even gets the ball from Sullivan.

One on one blocking is his downfall. A blitzing saftey will own him. He couldn't block a glass of water........

Well, we need a stud MLB so he would be a good player to get. Just send him a text before every game that his girlfriend is cheating with the opposing QB and watch him go Waterboy on the other team.

Lol....

I just wanted to bring this post back up. The Queens have been doing pretty much everything I said in the original post while the season was still going. Maybe I should just run this team. I would do it for like $250k. Thats gotta be way cheaper than Speilman.

and on 1/20 I was the first one that said the Queens will draft Manti Teo. I still believe its true.

Now Rick you and some of the other guys on here can pile on and tell me I dont know squat. I would love to hear more of that.

If anyone else wants I can lend you the crystal ball.