• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

2013 Vikings roadmap

BuckSutherland

2013 Vikings draft and team needs

Step one. Get rid of old and useless players and high salaries. The list includes Kevin William, John Carlson, the entire receiving core except Jarius Wright, Jared Allen, and Joe Webb. Here is a list of some of the salaries due next year:

Jared Allen- $14.3 million

Kevin Williams $7 million

John Carlson $2.9 million

Michael Jenkins $2.5 million

Remi Ayodele $3 million

Allen and Williams would maybe be worth a couple late round draft picks at the most. It is certain they are not worth the money they are getting.

Step two. Trade Percy Harvin. The Vikes won the last 4 regular season games without him. He is a headcase and doesn’t understand the concept of team. There is no doubt he has Hall of Fame talent, but he is just too much of a cancer to the team. They should be able to get an early to mid second round pick for him. Hopefully he goes to KC or Oakland so we don’t have to see much of him and could get a pretty good pick in return.

Step three. Bring in a veteran QB to compete, and maybe teach ponder a thing or two. I am not talking $7 million dollars to McNabb, I am talking $1-2 million to Kyle Orton or someone similar.

Step four. Resign some of the players that showed promise this year. Including, Everson Griffen and Loadholt.

Step five. Free agency. I would try to get a WR, a little QB help, and maybe LB or safety. We are ok at OL, CB. If we solidify the D line in the draft our secondary will only improve.

Step six. The Draft. Here is our draft needs in the order of importance.

1. DT- We have zero push up the middle. We need someone to collapse the pocket against Rodgers, Stafford and Cutler.

2. WR- They need to hit on a middle round draft pick and get a deep threat in here.

3. QB- I would be looking at someone in the first 3 rounds to come in and compete with Ponder. There are some guys that will be around in the 3rd round. Tyler Bray from TN or Landry Jones from OK. Ponder just isnt the answer.

4. LB- Brinkley and Henderson just are not the answer either. They never force turnovers and never get home on a blitz.

Step seven. Fire Bill Musgrave. Maybe some of the worst play calling I have ever seen.

I think if we improve the D-line like we did the O-line last year we can be even better next year. Football is a game won in the trenches. You don’t waste your time drafting WR and CB with high picks. Look at the two studs from last year. Blackmon and the CB from LSU that Dallas drafted. Both of them had pretty unimpressive seasons. Kalil on the other hand was All Pro. If we arent going to pick a DT right away we should trade down and try to accmulate draft picks in the 45-90 area.

• Replies 54
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

1) need playmakers--wr first and foremost (at least two.) get at least one free agent..wallace or jennings would work.

2) need d tackle beast=get in draft early rounds

3) need lb and cb help. our lb cant cover. need more speed.

4) resign harvin..if it is indeed true he doesnt like this system then move him.

5) bring in a "TRUE" #2 QB. Cut webb and keep bethel...

6)bring twon and kevin in at reduced salary. if they balk, cut them. we have to get younger.

we have to get younger.

We are already the 4th youngest team in the league. We get much younger and they'll have to start stocking up on pampers, chewable asprin, and juice boxes.

Wide receiver and linebacker are the two biggest needs in my opinion. After that a veteran QB, inside DL, and added depth in the defensive secondary.

they need a qb

after watching the play-offs this past week-end

there's good reason they were all in the play-offs

they all could hit a reciever ON THE RUN

i dont believe ponder will ever be as good as seattle san fran or baltimores whos qb is a free agent

they do need a reciever or 2 to help take the pressure off AP

LB and WR are the two most pressing needs...they are the weak spots on the team.

We need IMPACT players at both positions and I would hope the Vikes draft for this in the early rounds.

You meant to say DT and WR. Look at the Giants the last two times they won the Superbowl. They had a dominant D-line and then they went out and got LBs that were grade school teachers to fill in. Get some good D-linemen and even crappy LBs start to look good. The Giants won the Superbowl twice over Brady cause they got tons of pressure on him with their front four. Start forcing bad throw and your DBs start getttin INTs.

Kyle Orton??? We want a decent QB.. not three worthless ones

I did not say the Queens need to make a move for Orton, I was saying the need to bring in a veteran with similar experience that we can get cheap. Ponder has never had anyone to learn from and just doesnt have the talent of Luck or anyone else to just be able to step in and be all-pro. If he had been able to sit for a year and watch he would be much better.

[quote name='nofishfisherman

We are already the 4th youngest team in the league. We get much younger and they'll have to start stocking up on pampers' date=' chewable asprin, and juice boxes.

Wide receiver and linebacker are the two biggest needs in my opinion. After that a veteran QB, inside DL, and added depth in the defensive secondary. [/quote']

Seattle I believe had the youngest team in the leauge. How did it work for them? Looks like they could be pretty good for the forseeable future. If we get a little younger and find a QB we actually have a great chance for a Superbowl. I hope Spielman keeps building through the draft instead of FA.

All the best teams have built their franchises through the draft and they dump their old crappy FA on teams like the Vikings. Here are some teams that always draft and aviod the big FAs. New England, Green Bay, Pittsburgh, NYG.

And

Here are some teams that always go with the FAs and fail.

New York Jets, Minnesota Vikings, Philidelphia, Dallas, Oakland

We should look at the trophey cases from the last twenty years. Dallas hasnt won squat since Jones took over and they quit drafting well.

Seattle I believe had the youngest team in the leauge. How did it work for them? Looks like they could be pretty good for the forseeable future. If we get a little younger and find a QB we actually have a great chance for a Superbowl. I hope Spielman keeps building through the draft instead of FA.

Seattle is the 7th youngest team. The only teams younger than the vikings are the Rams #1, Eagles #2, and Browns #3.

I'm not saying you can't win with a young team. The Packers at #5 and Seattle at #7 prove that it can be done. I'm just saying age isn't our issue. We need talent upgrades at certain positions regardless of age.

I agree that the draft is the ideal way to go. Ideally you build the core of your team through the draft and then use free agency to supplement areas of need, after all you can't draft all 52 players on your roster.

It will be interesting to see if Baltimore locks up Flacco. I assume they'd at least use the franchise tag on him. Not to often a starting QB like that hits the open market. He's certainly not a top tier QB but he'd still look ok handing off to AP next year.

Yeah, they are terrible, but we could get by with them if we would get some DTs.

Look what one guy did for our O-line (Kalil). Rarely did Kalil get the stupid penalties like LTs of the past. He didnt get help blocking elite pass rushers one on one, and lets not forget he was part of a unit that helped put up the second highest rushing total for a RB in league history.

JJ Watt can change a game all by himself and his LBs are terrible. THey went further than the queens. You need to fix the trenches first.

Can you imagine how dreadful we would have been if we drafted Justin Blackmon (Pierbridege). Or if we would have taken Morris Claiborne. Josh Robinson and Harrison Smith are both better than Claiborne. If you have studs up front the guys behind them can do so much more. Look at the Patriots. They have a dominant offensive line and always have. They just plug whoever in for WR and RB. And guess what? They are on their way to their 7th Superbowl in 12 years. On Defense they have Wilfork who just crushes the pocket on every play. Makes donkey LBs like Ninkovich look good when they intercept ducks flying out of the backfield.

How much pressure did we get on Rodgers in the playoff game? NONE!!! Everyone's hero Jared Allen had a sack in garbage time. He had 5-7 seconds to throw on almost every attempt. Fast forward one week. The 49ers were crushing the pocket forcing bad and hurried throws and guess what, Rodgers couldnt get anything done. The best D the Vikings ever had was when the Dline was dominant. And you can say that for most teams.

In our division we have 3 guys/teams that want to throw downfield and not run much. The best way to impact that is to blow the pocket up in their faces.

Citing one game doesn't prove much, besides we actually had 3 sacks in that game not just one garbage time sack. I could also cite single games that show how much pressure we are able to bring.

I'm not saying we don't need an improvment at DT, I just put the need below that of LB, WR, and probably the secondary.

Just by drafting a DL in the 1st isn't going to guarantee you a "JJ Watt" type player...that's like saying we need to draft a 1st round QB so we can have a player like Rodgers.

Give Harrison Smith a "running mate" or two back there for the next 8 years or so.

absolutely nuts to think bout waiving jared allen or kevin williams

Why keep them? Ballard and Griffen could put up the exact same stats if they were the starters at a tenth of the cost.

Your kind of thinking is exactly why MN teams have never been able to close the deal.

Does that mean GB is going to be nuts for getting rid of Greg Jennings?

We are trying to BUILD a franchise for the future. Not hang onto old memories and man-crushes!

I say keep JA, get rid of Kevin Williams. Kevin Williams isn't near the player he was back in the day with Pat. We've got to move on and let the younger guys (Ballard) step up and show what they got. I still think Allen has a lot left in the tank. He pretty much played this entire season injured. Remember it was just a year ago he came within a sack of breaking the sack record. Plus they can just put Griffin on the other end of Allen, and let Robinson back them up, or move him for some younger talent.

At the DE position we have a good mix of veteran talent (Allen) who is far from past his prime, and young talent in Robison and Griffin. With as many needs as we have that is not the spot to worry about.

The bigger spot we can upgrade is the LB and DT position. Think about how many times we had teams running up the middle on us. Thats on the DT's and LB's.

A year from now it'll be the 2014 roadmap. Why do we need these big tired out lumbering D lineman, the new QB rage is to spread roll out and run, even Rodgers makes much of his money gunning it on the run and then later in the game those big O-lineman can just sit on those wore out tired lineman, NYG has likely the best pass rush and they are home watching, tire those guys down then pass from the pocket. JK in a way, we need help all over, we need to hit the draft decently with whoever we add to the viking ship, hope for health next year and to peak at the right time.