• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Sound barriers

jt24

outside of an existing inside wall or outside wall?

did a lot of research on this b4 starting to finish my basement. if u r referring to inside the home walls....simplest, fastest, most cost efficient is double drywall with layer of green sound proofing adhesive in between. could also look into sound absorbing panel frames to suck in the noise from the room it is in helping prevent the sound to even get to studded wall structure.

anything else & u r talking bout working inside the stud wall & would require sheetrock

..........for outside of house, i doubt it

did a lot of research on this b4 starting to finish my basement. if u r referring to inside the home walls....simplest, fastest, most cost efficient is double drywall with layer of green sound proofing adhesive in between. could also look into sound absorbing panel frames to suck in the noise from the room it is in helping prevent the sound to even get to studded wall structure.

anything else & u r talking bout working inside the stud wall & would require sheetrock

+1. I would agree. Pretty common practice for home theater areas to deaden sound and reduce vibration along with nailing staggered saddles between the studs.

I have also heard that it helps to use two different thicknesses for the dry wall. something to the point of each thickness grabs a different length of sound wave.

shizzy....yes every little bit more helps but i was told by the pros that is kinda mis nomber

we did do insulation, vinyl barrier, double dry wall with green glue in between layers in home office in case someone decides to work from in future with the kids. quite impressed with results but do waste some $$$ as double layers of dry wall have to be perpendicular as you dont want seams to match up each layer.....& green glue adds up fast

I have also heard that it helps to use two different thicknesses for the dry wall. something to the point of each thickness grabs a different length of sound wave.

The theory behind this would be to diffuse the sound so that it scatters, bounces at different times into different directions.

That said, 1/2 inch will only be effective on the upper trebble region. 10khz + range.

For a sound diffusor to be effect down 450hz, which is the midrange, it needs to have about a 9" difference between the deep and shallow wells.