• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

rigging tip-ups for walleye

dairyman

I use circle hooks because when the sinker hits bottom it puts the line perpendicular to the fish. Then all you need to do is apply tension and it usually hooks em right in the corner. I also run a foot to 18" of leader between the braid and hook.

Since they allow trebles now I am trying a red #6 treble hook with one of the hooks snnipped off. My thereory is that 3 has be detected right away when they take a bite at the minnow so figured it might be a little better. Almost think of it as 3-D versus 2-D in its mouth space. I am hoping 2-D is less noticable to the fish and give me more time to set the hook. Another thing I was told by a friend is hook the minnow up the privates into the back. It will keep the minnow wanting to stay upright and offer more action. Not sure if it is right but will be trying it out this weekend on Mille Lacs.

I have never heard of that before. wouldn't that kill the minnow quicker?

going through its entire body?

We use gamakatsu octopus hooks #6

or small simple glow jig

Always hook through back above spine. behind dorsal fin. (as thin as possible) That is if you want the bait to live a long time.

i use tip ups for walleyes quite often and what works for me is i use 20lb HT polar ice braid tip up line and i tie on a small swivel and then i use 8-10 lb vanish line for a leader and i tie on a #8 treble "red" or HT has glow trebles too. then i tip them with a small walleye sucker or a small shiner. when i hook the bait on i only use 1 hook from the treble and i insert the hook paralell with the dorsel fin not to deep but deep enough to hold the minnow. then i set it almost the same as if i were running a dead stick for walleyes about 1-2 ft off the bottom.

Hope this helps

I've been using a size # 10 treble (although #8 or #6 are probably good too) with a 12"-18" flocarbon leader. I tied up a few rigs on a spool with 6,8, and 12lb test depending on the mood of the fish and if pike are present in the area.

To mark my depth I always use a small split shot. I set the flag really light, when I get bit the line will slowly peal off from the extra weight of the split shot. I don't want that fish to feel any resistance once they pop the flag.

Hey guys, I am by no means any pro ice man but i use the polar ice line tied straight to a 24" or so leader of 8# vanish. I measure the depth i want and just mark the line where it needs to be, because i prefer not to have the weight of a split or swivle. I know that is probably execsive but i have become a believer in the "sinker may adversely effect the strike and so on" philosophy. Actually, Dtro on the catfish forum has a vid that shows the basic principles(with a jig stick and bobber though)

Dtro on the catfish forum has a vid that shows the basic principles(with a jig stick and bobber though)

Walleyes tend to bite with a little more aggression than the cats we target in the winter. Not sure how much a split shot would adversely effect the bite. But on the other hand you might just be on to something I have never thought of.

I run full mono on my tip up rigs, with as small of split shot and hook set up that I can get by with for the type of minnow I am using.