• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

what if, vehicle fall through?

jay83196

I have heard many different statements on this over the years and wondering if anybody knows first hand.

How does one get a car off bottom of the lake if goes through

Cost

Any fines for going through?

Insurance cover loss of vehicle

Just curious always wondered....

Thanks

I've seen a couple of retrievals, common way is to place air bags under the vehicle a nd inflate them. The vehicle will then come to the surface,a nd can then be winched out onto the ice usually on some large planks. Depending on the water depth will determine the cost. It needs to have a diver go down and position the air bags. As far as insurance my company covered the cost. IF you have comp coverage on your policy, subject to your deductible of course. Our commercial policies would not cover it unless you had a separate endorsement to the policy. Now I' only speaking for the compqny I represented for 27 years. If you have any questions regarding your policy give you agent a call. Lets up you never need the coverage. Hope this answers some of your question

Missed a couple of points; cost I've seen it go from a low of $1900 to as much $6000. I don't believe the state has a penalty as long as the vehicle is removed within 30 days. Our company would also total the vehicle automatically if it was submerged. To many problems later on with electrical connections, computer chips etc, so we totaled it rather thanhaving to worry about future problems which we would have to continue to pay for as a result of the claim. We had one on Mille lacs several years ago that cost over $45,000 due to retrieval and the fact that it was a brand new chev k1500 z71

Last Winter my wifes step dads truck busted through Peltier. He drove into the heave and the front half of is his truck got wet.

My cousin did the recovery. Before he got to work a dnr or sheriff asked him what his plans were. He told him and said if it takes longer than 24 hours from now to get the truck out of the hole there will be fines. The last thing the officer said was it looks like there will be fines on this one... In about an hour my cousin had the truck on dry land.

All we used was a chain saw, couple tree trunks, auger, log chains and come a long. My cousin had done a couple similar recoveries in the past.full-4493-28788-2012_01_22_16_12_51_297.

full-4493-28789-2012_01_22_16_19_21_268.

Oh, had a friend dunk his nearly new Super Duty and enclosed trailer on Prior about 10 years ago. Truck was lifted, big tires/rims, brush guard, and a bunch of other stuff. He broke through in 4ft of water and the insurance company covered everything. He got a check for about $45K.

I may have been wrong on the time frame to get the vehicles back out. I know DNR is concerned with the leakage of fluids into the water, and fines can definitely apply. Definitely nit something I want to go through myself

Not good with Thin Ice sign and then you nose it in.

Thinking the same thing but I wonder if those signs were put in after the truck. If they were there already, the guy was pretty foolish to drive out there. crazy

I know a guy that has a tow company and used to do them. He had an a frame deal that went over the hole and winched them out.

He stopped doing them because it was so hard to collect on them and took so long to get payment when he did.

Ya sure of them goin in but ya never hear of them coming out. On LOW there were like six two to 3 years ago. Just har to imagin how to get a truck outa 31 ft of water miles from land with deteriorating ice getting worse every day. Better yet, how dose one tell the wife shocked

I know a guy that has a tow company and used to do them. He had an a frame deal that went over the hole and winched them out.

He stopped doing them because it was so hard to collect on them and took so long to get payment when he did.

This is what the recovery company did when one of my supervisors trucks went through a few years back. It was down a few days and I do not remember him talking about any fines.

I am surprised to hear that they would release the truck to the owner without payment or at least part of it. I know a guy that did some of the diving to retrieve lost articles such as outboard motors and such. He would not release the recovered item until he got paid. If the guy raised a stink he just told him he could put it back for him instead.