• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

how to find perch on devils lake

Can anyone educate me on how to find perch on Devils lake? I recently moved to Fargo, and have never fished the lake. I'm trying to plan a weekend out there and want to be as knowledgeable as possible before I go. I like to fish actively, so bouncing around won't be a problem. I have not had much luck finding jumbos on mill lacs so I feel like a rookie. I've heard great things about perch fishing out there; any help would be great.

The jumbos aren't always easy to find on Devils Lake either. They'll probably be in deeper water on mud flats probably in 25-40 feet or even deeper at times in a transition area from rocks to mud would be my best guess. Ask at the baitshops and Woodland Resort and maybe you can get some info. Some days it takes alot of moving around to find them and the schools move constantly. Devils Lake can be a bugger some times when you're trying to find the big perch so drill lots of holes and use your electonics.

It's not a great answer but I'm not sure you'll find really good info. Good Luck!

Honestly, I would book a trip or two through Woodland Resort. At the very least stay at the resort. They are very willing to hand out information to paying customers and want you to get on fish. A buddy and I stayed with them right after Christmas for a night in the motel they have and it was top notch and very affordable ($69/night) which included a stay for two people as well as access to the lake and tons of great information. We happened to just get there a couple days after a strong cold front and it really shut the perch down after it was the best it had ever been right out from the Resort in Creel Bay. The walleyes were still going pretty well and they were able to point us to a spot that clients the previous day had done well at and sure enough hungry walleyes were still there.

From talking to the guys there the perch do usually stay together but slowly move around the bay and huge lake and it takes a lot of time to find them and stay on them(thus the perch patrol). That is the best advice I can give you after my one and only trip out there. We are planning to do it again maybe towards spring when they should be going well.