• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

oil change

I run full synthetic in everything I own because it is the best oil out there. Why go half way? I run it about 6000 miles in the vehicles but I change it myself and not worried about saveing $20 a year.

edit

I have had full synthetic leak through valve cover gaskets on older vehicles...also is it true that full syn can leak through the older engines with a larger gap in the cylinder?

There isn't really any good reason I've heard why a synthetic oil would cause oil consumption or leaks

I've never heard it causes leaks, only that the smaller molecules of the synthetic are able to get past very small crevices, where the larger molecules of conventional oil cannot.

If all your engine seals and gaskets are in good condition, synthetic oil shouldn't leak any more or less than any other oil.

Mac nailed it. It wont make a seal leak, but you will notice more leaks while using it, because of the thinner compound of it, thinner/smaller will leak out of the small holes, that werent leaking with conventional oils, that are thicker/larger molecules.