• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Trolling 101, trolling rods

JohnMickish

FishSlayer24, you don't necessarily need line couter reels but they are handy. Biggest benefit is getting your line back to the same distance that you are catching fish at. Late last fall I bought 4 of the Diawa AccuDepth ICV Digital Line counter reels (ADICV25W)and so far I really like them. Low profile reel with a digital readout. Spool up with your favorite line and use the same rod/reel for bottom bouncers, long lining, and snap weights.

MN fishing guy

Great review of the possibilities = I have thought some of the same.

Lets start with the lure and line test and depth. This is highly unscientific but I am pretty sure we were down in the same depth with both rigs. For example, when trolling along a nice consistent depth and then maybe slowy but surely coming up shallower the lures would start to hit bottom at about the same time.

We were also using the same style lure and model - for the most part. Some may have been different by color but thats about it. Nonetheless the longer rod - even when we switched lures outperformed.

I think your right on with the action of the rod. I think the longer rod and the corresponding action it provided did something to the lures that the fish preferred.

I do know that next trips i will be bringing 2 longer rods for sure. Only issue is that i went back to where I bought the one - and they dont have any more in stock.

Last, i also read your post on not pumping the rod. So, true. When we get a fish fast trolling on the rod holders, we first of all keep the boat running at the same speed - dont pull the throttle down - the reduction in speed will unhook the fish 50% of the time. Then just get the rod out of the holder as best you can and hold the reel and the rod up as high as you can keeping the line tight. Just start reeling in slowly and surely and whatever you do - dont let the rod tip drop!

Great post John, for those whom haven't tried lead core remember as the name implies its a thin string of lead surround by a wrap of dacron (I believe) thus the line diameter is larger ( the 18 lb/ 26 lb refers to test breakage not weight of the lead core line) so depending on how much you spool, it will require more space then say 300 yards of 10 lb mono. Also you want a leader of mono between your lure and the lead core line. (hint peel back the covering say 18" pinch off the lead, then use the covering to tie to your leader or a very small swivel). Sorry I know its on rods but read alot about reels also, figure save someone the headache I had first time spooling up some leadcore line.

Can a guy use the same type of rod for leadcore line trolling as for flat line trolling with 10 lb mono? Or should the rod with 10 lb mono have a lighter or slower action? What do you guys use.

Just can't make up my mind on what to buy.

I am a fan of linecounters for all trolling, Okumas a durable and cheap. I also short troll leadcore in as shallow as 6' in the spring, don't need it but have it so use it.... My favorite lenths are longger the better and a softer action and at times exact lenth is the difference between catching and fishing.... Opener here last year we trolled shallow, under 9' and had our 6 fish limit and another 25 thowbacks/slots in 54 minutes...

I see the new Jason Mitchell rods are out. Looking at the 8'6" one. Looks like a nice rod but he claims its an all in one rod, lead core, planer boards, hard line trolling. Don't know about that but the price looks good at $60. Has anyone held one yet? I have a hard time believing this rod would be a great choice at all 3 types of trolling for walleyes. At med - heavy it probably be better for lead core, planer boards and a bit stiff for flat line trolling? What do you guys think?

I think it sounds like you hit the nail on the head there. I to find it very hard to believe that 1 rod would be good at planer boards and flat lining but in a pinch it would work. I did look at them at the show and for 60 dollars it appears to be a pretty good trolling rod, and at that price point pretty tough to beat.

The main difference is the action the rods have. A planerboard rod will have a slower action meaning that the rod will bend more in the middle and not all at the tip. A board rod has alot of weight or pressure on the rod so it needs to have a longer area for the rod to bend. A planerboard rod does not need have a real sensitive tip to show you how the lure is running, like a long line or leadcore rod will. Also, leadcore and planer boards rods are built pretty tough because there is alot of drag in the water were a long line rod dosen't.

You can use one rod to do it all, but it won't be great at all of them.

Ah that makes sense. So you would recommend dedicated mono/fireline/long line rods then? In your opinion, are any of the following techniques, leadcore, planer board, downrigger, dipsey diver, and snap weights able to be covered by one rod efficiently? I'm not saying is there a rod that can do it all, but are any of those presentations similar enough as far as the rod action is concerned to allow one rod to cover two or more techniques? Thanks again for your advice, awesome learning source!

There is another way you could look at this and that is each presentation (long line, leadcore, planer board) is going to use a different type of line and a different type of reel. So if you are looking to find a rod that is going to accomplish all these tasks, you are still going to be switching reels around. So why not add a few more rods to the arsenal and have all your presentations rigged and ready to go.

For my long line trolling, I have a couple St Croix Tidemaster 7'6" Medium Moderates with 17 sized Sealine linecounters. I believe I have 20lb Sufix 832 on them. These are really light and sensitive combos that let me hand hold the rods for a long time if I need to. These rods are good for 3-waying and bottom bouncing as well as pulling cranks.

When you go to leadcore, the popular combo is the long (12'-14') outside rods and the short (5') inside rods. This lets you spread your baits 35-36' from one outside rod to the other. When contour trolling a break, you can get lines on top of the break and down the side of the break with this kind of spread. On a body of water like Pool 4 & Pepin where 2 rods a piece is legal, this is a great way to go. My leadcore is on 47 sized Sealines and I actually have these on Scheels 8'-6" telescoping trolling rods right now. I haven't quite invested in the all out leadcore setup yet or I'd go the long & short rod route.

Planer board rod length is sort of a personal preference. 7'-6" to 8'-6" seams to be a good length. The rod length has to be manageable in the boat for clipping on and taking off boards, but you still want long enough rods to keep your line from catching waves. Rod holders with extensions or trees (like from Bert's Tackle) can help get your rods up in the air as well. 27 sized Sealines with mono are pretty much the way to go for your board reels. The Scheel's rods I have would be good board rods as well, I'd just have to flip flop reels around when I switch techniques. I could use them for long line trolling as well but I think there are better rods to do that with.

Trying to figure this leadcore deal out before I go to Neultin in July for lakers. I have heard different thing but what are guys feelings on getting all the lead on the reel in the water every time? Should you not troll with the lead in the guides? I bought a depth master combo from cabelas this weekend and they spooled the full core up for me but if I need to put it all in the lake and get a trophy on then ill be spooled before I can make up any line. Thinking I should start my trip with more backing and 5 colors on and 5 in my box to see how it works. Any thought by the lead core vets.

Thanks,

Ryan

Nice topic

Great advice

I'm just getting into the lead line trolling which is a blast when I can get hooked up. When a fish is on we real the fish so it kind of surfs on top the water and seems to work great no losses. I suppose having a bass boat helps also since it is a short flip into the boat.

Running 8-6 rods with line counters the cheep combo from fleet farm with the blaze orange tip

It should be. 8 colors = roughly 40'but in most lake situations you won't need more then 5-6 colors and the wild card is the leader length and the type of crank you decide to pull because that can add to the effective depth range just by the plug you use versus putting out more leadcore. 25-50' of mono attached to the leadcore with a deeper diving crank will eliminate the need for an extra color or LC. Most of the muskie style level winds can handle a hundred yards of mono backing and 5 colors pretty easily. Thre is also a new style low profile leadcore that is supposed to have the same sink rate but stronger sheathing and get slightly deeper then conventional LC that might be a good option for the depth range you are looking at with a smaller reel.

Tunrevir~