• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

First handgun advice...

I've wanted to get one for some time, and the wife gave me the green light to go ahead and buy one grin...as long as its not too expensive frown. So I would like to keep it under $500 if I could. I would have it for home defense and of course some recreational shooting. Problem is I honestly don't know a whole lot about the different brands, what to look for in terms of quality, or what caliber would best suit my needs. I was looking at 9mm a little more seriously than anything bigger, simply because the ammo seems to be a little cheaper...I would appreciate any advice! Thanks!

Glock 19. Can use as a plinker, hd weapon, and carry gun. Reliability is amazing, and accessories are cheap as EVERYWERE should you decide to buy some down the road. I'm personally not a huge fan if the m+p lineup ... But I have not shot one of the newer ones yet. I didn't care for the triggering the 40 and 9 I shot.

I was in your position a few years back and had to make the same decision you are. Here is what I went with and why. I went with a colt 1911 commander. I also was under the impression that ammo was cheaper and it probably is but I have found that I only go through 3 or 4 boxes of ammo a year so it really doesn't make that much difference. If you are going to shoot every weekend and go through tons of ammo, it would probably make a lot more sense to shoot something cheaper. I also wanted something I could use to carry if I so chose and something I could pass down to my kids and grand kids. I believe mine ran right around 600 before tax new with the christmas sale they had going on a few years back.

We just purchased a Ruger LC9 with the lazer for my wife. She has absolutely no shooting experience but recent events drove the decision. It seems to fit her hand very well and we just got the city/county permit yesterday so it will be coming home this weekend. I can't wait to get her at the range and I've mandated a conceal & carry class as well so that she understands everything about it and what she can and can't do. It will be a very new experience.

Interesting development, both my daughters have asked to go to the range as well to shoot it. One is a dedicated deer hunter and the other I don't think has ever shot anything I own. Cost was under $500 not counting anything but the gun.

I would strongly suggest going somewhere and making sure you are first, comfortable with the feel of the handgun as it fits your hand and second, going somewhere where you can shoot a number of calibers and makes and then determine what you like. I also suggest a carry class and some tactical or situational training as well. I can't tell you how many times someone has bought a handgun and didn't like the way it shot or the siting on the barrel. Good luck with your decision.

I would suggest a 357 Magnum revolver. Revolvers are uncomplicated for the first time buyer, no safeties, magazines and such.357 Mag is a good home defence caliber, and you can use 38 Special ammo for practice, wich is cheeper than 357 Mag. Less recoil too. As suggested take a CC class. The instructor I went to brought his own wepons to class that way the stundents were exposed to several diferent calibers, revolvers and semiautos, one even had a Crimson Trace site.

Thanks for the tips guys! We went and looked this past weekend. After talking with the sales guy, who seemed to know his stuff, Im pretty set on the glock 19. So simple, and carry a great reputation. But at the same time, I really did like the rugar SR9, I like he additional safty and how it felt..I have some decisions to make

I am not terribly familiar with glocks, but If i remember right they do not have a "thumb" or other true safety device... This is what I liked about the ruger P345 i bought first, and I stuck with the ruger when I bought my compact as well because I liked the first one... So, IMO on a first purchase the safety is a good idea... but I had minimal hand gun experience when I bought my 345... so also why i went with a thumb safety...

Don't mean to hi-jack this post but I'm looking to purchase my first handgun as well. I went to Bills's gun shop and handled a few. Very helpful folks there but also VERY busy. Now I have to go in and shoot them. I'm looking at a glock, M&P, or the XD in order of preference. My question is on caliber. The two main purposes is for self defense in the house and the field (bear, etc.). I had a cougar walk up on me within 40 yards archery hunting the back country of Colorado a few years back and it still gives me an eery feeling.

I talked to a friend that works in the gun department at the big C. I'm looking at a S&W M&P 9, and they are sold out and he has no idea when they will be getting any in...could be a LONG time. I suspect the same thing with Glocks too. I should have gotten it 2 months ago when I was in there... mad

I talked to a friend that works in the gun department at the big C. I'm looking at a S&W M&P 9, and they are sold out and he has no idea when they will be getting any in...could be a LONG time. I suspect the same thing with Glocks too. I should have gotten it 2 months ago when I was in there... mad

I was in GM last week in the morning, middle of the week to look at handguns, and the department was swamped!! I looked around for half an hour then bailed, they just couldn't keep up. The rest of the store was dead!!

Not surprised, as you have a panic going on right now. I am sure more and more models will go out of stock.

IMO virtually every new handgun shooter should start with a. 22 or 9mm. The recoil and noise of the other calibers can be overwhelming and lead to problems. Accuracy will be reduced. Function problems with the gun from not being able to handle the recoil. And just plain discomfort from shooting to large a caliber. This will lead to no confidence and no practice.

I picked up a Smith and Wesson M&P 9 a little shile back and its great. I also have a 1911 .45 and wanted something cheaper to shoot. Its the full size pro series version and I would recommend it to anyone. I really wanted a Sig P226 but they were sold out. The salesman recommended trying the M&P. Scheels in Fargo had a few M&P 9's earlier this week. The .40s seem to be a little easier to find.

Thanks for the tips guys! We went and looked this past weekend. After talking with the sales guy, who seemed to know his stuff, Im pretty set on the glock 19. So simple, and carry a great reputation. But at the same time, I really did like the rugar SR9, I like he additional safty and how it felt..I have some decisions to make

Sounds like the salesman knows what he's talking about. The 19 is a fabulous choice. The ruger sr's (9+40) are GREAT as well, kudos to brad b for mentioning them. Te only thing I don't especially care for on them, from a defensive standpoint, is the magazine safety. If you accidentally activate the mag release while drawing or firing, the gun is inoperable until the mag is reseated. This safety can be removed, but its just one more thing to worry about if your life is on the line. In my opinion, the fewer external controls the better (defensively speaking), and glock has proven to live up to their nomenclature of "safe action pistols". No need to worry about an AD (accidental discharge) as long as your booger hook is off the bang bar until ready to fire. Good lik in the search friend, and congrats on the future purchase! smile