• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Flourocarbon line???

Slow Jigger

Question

16 answers to this question

It's a type of line. I tried some a couple years ago, Berkely brand I think. My impression was it was a relatively weak line that seemed to deteriorate fast. Maybe somebody else has had better experiences with it, but I wouldn't recommend it.

Yes, it is a type of line, not a brand name. Many manufacturers offer it. Berkley markets it by the name "Vanish," but there are many others.

Fluorocarbon lines do seem to be less visible to fish, based on research shown in several leading fishing magazines. I also know that it's less visible to ME in the water. If I'm in clear water, I'll frequently add fluoro to mono, either with a blood knot or ball-bearing swivel tying them together.

Fluoro is more abrasion resistant than most mono, especially limp mono, but be sure you lubricate your knots and leave a little extra tag end, since fluoro is stiffer than most mono.

I fish most often with 6, 10 and 14 mono while ice fishing, and I have small spools of the corresponding strength fluoro lines to use for leaders. It costs a fair amount, so I simply buy the small spools and use it as leader material. No reason to put 200 yard on your reel as backing, because that's a waste.

A note: I never spool with fluoro only. It's like using Berkley XT with a HUGE memory problem, it's so stiff, and is asking for line twist on spinning reels especially.

Does F help me catch more fish? That's hard to say. There are so many variables in any fish equation that trying to pin down a single aspect is like asking how many angels can dance on the head of a pin. I use it because I believe it makes a difference, but if I was short the few dollars a small spool costs, I'd forget the fluoro and by bait instead.

[This message has been edited by stfcatfish (edited 01-29-2003).]

I use the F-line as a 2 ft. leader and have very little trouble with it except when I want to use the 2lb. test stuff hard to see especially with bifocal lens. I usually use the 6 lb stuf and have used the 10 lb. in the past. I like it

Thats all I use for my snells.
The problem people have is exactly what stf said- you ABSOLUTELY HAVE TO wet the line before you cinch the knot or it will break VERY easily. I would never spool up with it because of the reasons stated, but there is no better line in my opinion to use as leader/snell material.

------------------
>"////=<
Gull Guide Service
fishingminnesota.com/gullguide
Brainerd-Mille Lacs-Willmar
Bemidji-Ottertail

I use a 2 foot-6 lb Flouro leader on all of my winter walleye rods. I tried the Berkley and Stren stuff and hated it. I bought some Seagaur stuff this year and love it! The trick that I have found is to only tie palomar knots with it.
One thing I have noticed is that it has a lot of stretch. I use a 8 lb Fireline main line, so the extra stretch in the leader is nice, but I think that if you had a whole spool of it you would be quickly frustrated!

------------------
Wables

I've given the two top manufacturers Floro's a try and they are too brittle or you have to worry about "special handling" all of the time.

I noticed this Floro line begins peeling apart after a short time, it's almost like fine hair that peels off and there's a kind of center (or core) in this line.

I think I lost 5 BIG 'Eyes in a row on the Rainy River before I ripped the line off of two reels and spooled up with my tried and true favorite, Tournament Strength Trilene lo-vis Green.

I won't use any other Mono, even for leaders or harnesses. I just match the right line strength with my targeted species of fish and conditions.

------------------
Chells

I use Vanish on all my reels both summer and winter. I does exactly what I need it to do. I would probably use P-Line but Vanish is cheaper and gives me what I neeed in a line. I am a believer in flourocarbon line, it makes a difference.

Low-Vis, Perfect Stretch & Very Abrasion Resistant!

If your knots are slipping or breaking you are tying the wrong knot. A palomar or trilene knot will do just fine.

Visibility of line is an argueable point. I read an article by some pro or another that made a good point -
Fish are stupid. They don't reason and have limited conditioned responses to repeated stimuli. They also have instincts. A piece of fishing line has never threatened their territory, tried to eat them or their spawn, and isn't food - so it's not an issue. (paraphrased)

I like mono for the knot dependibility and I like superbraid for sensitivity. Haven't like fused so far.

------------------
<)/////><{
RobertC

You have to remember that Flourocarbon line was originally used for Saltwater fishing. This being said of course it won't last long, mainly for the fact that Saltwater guys change rigs every trip. And if you've fished in Saltwater you know there are toothy-critters all around to help you in changing your rigs. As far as using Vanish as a line for icefishing, I warn against spooling up with it as it likes to unravel off of spools. All the twirling of the spool must make it dizzy so it falls off.

I like using small buckshot rattle spoons and size 2 raps and 1/8 oz. jigging spoons for perch and walleye infested waters. I use 1-4 yellow fireline to a stainless barrel swivel and a 3' section Seguar Carbon Ice 4lb. test. so far so good. I change my leader each time I venture out.

Vanish jumps off the spool, just the way I like it. It allows you to get up and down quick. I don't recommend using more then 6 or 8 on a spinning reel. I use 2 lb on my panfish rods in the winter, 4 lb in the summer. 4 & 6 on my walleye rods in the winter, 8 in the summer. 10 lb on my linecounters & leadcore & for tying spinners. 8 lb for snells, tip-up leaders and handline snells. It is great all around line. I have found it to be incredilably abrasion resistant, the benefits are numerous.

RobertC-Fish my be dumb but they still out smart me occasionally.

ScottS wrote: "Fish my be dumb but they still out smart me occasionally"

Then it is me (doh, wink.gif) They've been outsmarting me regularly lately.

I am glad that spooling Vanish works for some of you guys, but I have had nothing but the troubles STF and Gull Guide stated. Great for snells and leaders though.

Spike

I use 20lb Vanish leaders on my tip-ups and it works great. I have had very few pike bite offs and the walleye don't seem to notice the heavy diameter.

It does have the splitting characteristics mentioned earlier.

ScottS & Spike,
I'm outsmarted more often than not as well. wink.gif
I was saying that fish aren't afraid of fishing line, and maybe - just maybe - "invisible line is more helpful in catching anglers than it is in catching fish.

------------------
<)/////><{
RobertC