• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

What is this? (Answer posted)

I haven't had a good "what is it" in a while and when I saw this today I couldn't resist.

This part is on a 2013 Dodge Durango At first I thought it was he ABS pump but it is not. Upon further review and tracing the multiple lines and hoses it dawned on me. It is located in the lower front of the engine compartment. You can see the crank pulley on the right and the bottom of the tensioner right above it.

So, what is it?

full-243-28685-image.jpg

You wont believe how many of these classes I have slept through, that sounded just like this one. I would stand up from the table at the end of the day, and my mind was so numb, i was afraid to drive home. I am sure if I would have gotten pulled over, I dont think I would have been able to pronounce my name.

I hear ya. A couple times in college, I remember a professor going through a whole long lecture about something or other, finance stuff. At the end of the class, she (I think it was a she) asked if anyone had any questions. Nobody raised their hand or said anything. She says "great, everyone gets it". Finally I raised my hand and said "I am so baffled by what you just said, I dont even know what questions to ask". With confusion in her face, she asked the class if anyone else felt the same way. Every single person in the class raised there hand. We didn't move on from that subject for a few more days.

This is the power steering pump.

While a few manufacturers have gone to electronic power steering (GM and Toyota cars come to mind), this is the first time I have seen a hydraulic power steering system supplied by an electric pump.

I wonder if this is a backwards thinking design since they have gone through the trouble of designing and electric pump that responds to steering why not just have an electric motor and eliminate the hydraulics all together?

Maybe the pump just provides the pressure, like the belt driven pumps, and the rest of the system works like it always did with valves or something driven by the steering wheel?

If so, this would be one of those half step evolution things, like throttle body fuel injection.

Maybe the pump just provides the pressure, like the belt driven pumps, and the rest of the system works like it always did with valves or something driven by the steering wheel?

If so, this would be one of those half step evolution things, like throttle body fuel injection.

Thats what I was getting at. As far as I can tell the pump only runs when it is needed to provide assist. Why go through all the trouble of building this system with its electronics, sensors, and programing and then keep it hydraulic instead of just creating a complete electronic steering system (no hydraulics).

Most steerable farm equipment now has no direct steering shaft to the front steering wheels.The steering valve in the cab directs hyr. oil to the front steeing cylinder when you turn the steering wheel, turn the steering wheel to the left, oil goes to one side of the cylinder, turn right, directs oil to other side of the steering cylinder. Engine or pump quits, valves shut, locking oil in between steering valve and steering cyl and then you have manual steering. This is just a basic discription of how tractor and combines are steered. There are a few other systems used, but are basicly the same.