• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Rattle reel set up

Chumba

So we missed 8 bites last week, I am definitely a little frustrated. Is it a smart move to switch to treble hooks on the reels instead of a plain single hook? Should I switch half of them in my house and see how it goes? And split shot, 1-2 feet above? Would higher make a difference? Thanks for any tips!!

I"d first check the hook for sharpness. Are you fishing with a large enough hook for the bait and the fish you are after? Experiment with the amount of time you are letting the fish have the bait. Up on Red earlier this year, I was having a devil of a time with walleyes taking shiners and just holding them and had to give them extra time to swallow the bait before setting the hook. Once I gave them a little extra time, my hooking percentage went up. Another option would be using circle hooks but it takes a bit of getting used to not setting the hook but just using a steady pull to bring in fish.

Tunrevir~

Yup Page 9 of the New Regs. Trebles are now legal. No need for a spinner. Says nothing about spinners anymore. Does mention the quick strike rig use of multiple hooks (treble). Bout Time!

I will still use a single hook over a treble. This was our choice when I lived in WI and fished tipups for Walleye. Many more hookups on a single hooked shiner.

You're not the only one who misses fish on a rattle reel...I've missed one or two in my life. wink

That being said, sharp hooks, properly sized, will do a lot. And sometimes you need to give them a bit of line; I always wait until the bobber gets under the ice (unless there's 24'' of it). And as someone else said, it's very possible that you were missing small fish, though it's tough to know until you catch one. smile