• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Lake Okeechobee?

grab the net

Has anyone fished the Big O' and if so what time of year and which guide service did you use. I have a chance to be within driving distance Feb. 1st thru the 5th, and contemplating a fishing trip. I have done some research and it looks like most guides like to use wild shiners for the chance at a real giant, and provide tackle for that technique. Others don't mention anything about rods reels for flipping, and pitchin. Not able to bring my own gear. Thinking maybe half day of shiner fishing and then maybe Monkey Box to punch one up.

Shiners and balloons! Always wanted to. Fished the only two public launches once when I was a teenager. Man those bluegills are big! Even had an alligator chase my buzzbait! While it's not considered a trophy lake anymore you still have a shot at a 10lb Largemouth.(which is a super trophy up here!) Good luck and share your story with us.

I used Hawghunters guide service when I went down there. That was about ten years ago. The guide that took me out was some Mark guy that fished the BASS tour that year. We did fish shiners for an hour or so but the rest of the day was spent flippin. I learned a ton that day. Good times. I went down in the middle of January.

I fished it 4 years ago with a guide Bryan Honnerlaw i had a blast learned a ton and he is getting a brand new boat real soon. we did manage a 8.6 pounder that day also. i believe he is located on the west/ northwest side of the lake. give him a call and ask him how fishing is going. u are going down at a great time to hit the start of the spawn i believe. good luck

Last time I was there was about 4 years ago. Been out with Capt. Mike Shellen twice with my dad and had a blast both times. We started the day fishing big shiners under floats and always caught at least one fish over the 8lbs mark. He did allow us to use artificial baits if we wanted but the bass were biting so well on the shiners it was hard to set that rod down. After the shiners were gone we caught more fish on the artificials but they were mostly smaller males. Fished in late march and early april. Learned a lot and it was definitely a different than fishing lakes up north here. You should try to get out there for sure!