• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Do Aluminum Frames Have Negatives Besides Cost?

Hawg

I will agree with you that if there hasn't been proper surface prep, or low grade metal, powder coating will come off in sheets. I've definitely seen that before with cheap China-made patio furniture. I have also seen lots of powder coated finishes hold up to years of abuse. Wheels, snowmobile suspension parts, dirt bike frames, snow plows, etc.

Most of those have either an epoxy or acrylic undercoat.. followed by a powder coat process. Some use autophoretics instead of epoxy, but generally if you want good salt spray resistance, your not going to get much with just powder paint.

Powder coat isn't worth a darn on sharp edges, holes, etc.

Last month I was given the grand tour of the largest non OEM Epoxy with Powder top coat process in the US. 365,000 square feet for one ecoat/powder machine. Was in Cummins Power about 2 months ago too. Happen to have quite a bit of experience in coatings myself wink

Most powder coat guys will want your frame sandblasted and then they still acid wash it for a prep to powder coat it. Even if steel in new it best to have it prepped as good as you can. It give the paint something to adhere to. The paint is only as good as the base its put on.

I also built a bumper for my brother's Mack semi and it was sand blasted and powder coated and lasted 3 years before he got a new truck then it was reblasted and coated to match his truck last spring.

We did my nephews with the roll on bed liner stuff three years ago and its holding up very well. It was not sandblasted but it was sanded down with a flap wheel on a 4 inch grinder down to bare steel.