• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Deep fryer Fish Grease

ClownColor

Just curious...how long do you keep your grease? I had a fish fry this summer, filtered the grease and put it in the fridge. How long can I keep this with limited fish fry's? Planning on a winter, spring, and fall fry. Should be good for a year?

Stuff is too darn expensive if I need to toss it every few months.

THANKS!

Try drinking a cup of it... if you get sick, it's no good. sick

Kidding!

I would throw it after two uses if they are every few months. (a year seems like a long time to keep it around). Make sure you strain, and refrigerate in an air-tight container.

I've heard frying a chopped up potato will help "clean up" the oil and keep the flavor regular.

if it looks dark or smell I would toss it. Also if it looks like lard and no longer looks like oil then I would toss it.

Yep-starting to look like lard. What a bummer.

What do you fishermen do, how are maybe like me, and keep very few fish only to have a small get-together fish fry every so often? Do you just fork out the money and buy grease every time? Seems very spendy and I could only find 3 gallon jugs. 2 of which are sitting in the garage that are probably waste as well.

It might look like lard because it's cold. Sorry but I think I would get advice from someone who knows something about cooking rather than from a bunch of guys that stare at holes in the ice for hours at a time.

ive reused oil 2-3 times for fish. key is dont let it get too hot when frying. if it turns brown or smokes i dont reuse it. when its cooled i strain it back into the container and mark the date on it. ive stored it in my garage for a year and reused it. use the smell test,. it will get rancid and if it doesnt smell good then dont use it. i have never refrigerated it and not have any issues. good luck

thaw it out it might be ok. its heated to 350 375 which is plenty high to kill any bacteria...what bad oil will do is give the your product an awful taste. i always avoid pouring the bottom of the jug oil into the fry pan.

Get a frying saucer it only takes about a qt. of frying oil.

Not a bad idea and thanks. Though I tend to go overboard and fry up tator tots, onion rings, homemade potato chips, cheese sticks, poppers, fries...mmmmm fish fry!

I'll try the sniff test and if no one dies next weekend I know then it'll last 6 months. I'll try it again next spring then again next summer and if we all survive, I'll toss it after a year and call it good! Trial and error...at the expense of other...

As was said before( and I do have some experience in the subject) when it gets dark brown and smokes then it is time for it to go. The biggest enemies are water and not straining all of the batter, coatings etc that are left after you are done. Both decrease the life of the oil faster if you don't get rid of them or prevent them from getting in there in the first place. If you have something with a lot of loose breading or lots of frost from the freezer get as much of it as you can out of the food before you put it in there.

Get a frying saucer it only takes about a qt. of frying oil.

The Fryin Saucer is the best! Bought ours last year, told my wife it was a pig in the poke, man was I wrong! I have many friends that want to get one after seeing ours, are they available anymore?