• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Fatfish 949i vs Clam Bigfoot XL 4000t

grapeapplepie

So I'm in the market for a new insulated pop-up. I've been looking at the Clam XL 4000t and the Fatfish 949i. There seemed to be a lot of less-than-favorable reviews on this site with the Fatfish last ice season. Does anyone know if Eskimo has fixed the issues they had with last year's model? From what I've seen I can get the Fatfish for $40 less than the Clam. I've heard good things about Clam customer service, but I'm not sure about how Ardisam is to deal with IF problems arise. Which way would you guys go, save $40 and get the Fatfish or go with the Clam?

Eskimo has fixed the issues with the 949i. Ive seen minor sagging issues with the Clam Bigfoot XL4000 from other sites. Otherwise this year pretty positive reviews for both hubs.

The Bigfoot is roomier up top as its a square box hub as the design of the 949i slants from top to bottom like a teepee. So more room with the Bigfoot.

The windows of the Eskimo are removable I think while the Bigfoot is not.

Either way both are very nice hubs and im waiting for season end clearance before picking one up. whistle

I decided this year that I was going to buy one of these two shelters. I went back and forth at the ice show and ultimately decided with the Big Foot. I probably would have been happy with either but the extra interior space (and hooded sweatshirt) sold me on the clam.

I've been mostly happy with the purchase. I like the design and quick setup and takedown. That being said I have experienced soem quality issues.

*Sagging Roof

*Broken Zipper 1st time out on one of the doors

*Large tear in carry bag

*Zipper completely broke out of bag and now I can no longer zip it closed

The issues with the bag were probably my fault (bag became stiff after sitting out overnight), but the first two were basically out of the box problems. I haven't heard of the zipper issues with other fisherman so I probably just got a bad shack. I need to contact Clam. I hear they have good customer service so hopefully that holds true when I need it!

Does anybody know if you need a receipt for repairs/exchange? I bought mine at the ice show and can't seem to find my receipt.

I purchased the bigfoot a couple weeks ago. The only issues I've had is one zipper breaking off the bag and the roof sagging a bit when I first set it up. I think I fixed the roof issue by readjusting it but I'll find that out in the future.

I've never fished in the fatfish so I can't tell you my experiences there. I do like that it is lighter than the bigfoot.

Overall I really recommend the bigfoot because of the increased sf and the extra storage. Its easy to set up and it even fits in the back of my impala with all my ice fishing gear!

Thanks for all of the replies. After reading these posts and speaking with a salesman at everyone's favorite North metro muskie shop, I pulled the trigger on the Eskimo. It sounds like Ardisam made the necessary changes to the 2nd generation Fatfish and they have been reliable shelters thus far. Though a relatively minor issue, from what the guy at the store said, the zipper breaking issue is real with the 1st generation Bigfoots (Bigfeet?) I'm sure Clam will make the necessary changes for future models.

I have a trip planned to LOTW in two weekends, I can't wait to try it out!

Great! I'm sure they are both great shelters. I like by BigFoot a lot. I have broken three rubberized zipper pulls. They snapped in half the first time out but the zippers still work and Clam is sending me new ones. Hopefully the new ones won't have that issue. If a zipper pull is the worst problem, then I guess its not much of one so long as the zipper itself and everything else works great. Per the window/tip-up issue, I leave both doors of the BigFoot open just a tad at the corners and peek out without having to stand up.

I’m really surprised that people are finding that their shelters don’t have the mesh pockets. It’s happening enough here in this thread that It makes me think that it was something new added this year and maybe those folks got last years model or something. I can’t see it just being forgotten at the assembly step….but I guess you never know.

As far as the zippers go. I also had a pull break on me, but it was on the bag only and I was out by myself and I leaned it to it pretty heavy instead of gathering up the material a bit better. I was happy to see that the zipper didn’t break though, that was my first thought. I just added a key ring to it and that works fine.

It’s unfortunate that in a seasonal industry such as ice fishing, by the time things work themselves out, there isn’t much time left to fix the issue. But it seems to happen across the board with every type of product and every mfg. Nobody seems to be immune from the dreaded gremlins.

Would be nice if ice fishing products had a manufactured date stamped on the box so you could ensure you are getting the newest model.

I know they would not want to do that since the older stuff may get pushed aside, but just a thought.

I got the fatfish last year and I love it. Had one of the poles bend in when I shut the door but I called Eskimo and they sent me a new and I got it in two days. Tons of room and the windows are easy to see out and are removable. I also have a clam hub and had some problems but Clam also took care of me. So I am sure you will be happy.