• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Need a fast auger

Colemanvdh123

In all seriousness, yes the 3hp solo pro is about as fast as you can get off the shelf.

A word of warning though, keep an eye on those blades. Last night I was drilling some holes and noticed it felt just a bit odd.

I looked down and I only had one blade. shocked

That happens to a lot more people than will admit it. After seeing it happen to a new auger a few years back I've been trying to remember to lock-tite them down.

Love my Solo3 as well. Only complaint is it throws ice a little too far. I can live with that though. And you have to warn others who use it to let up on the throttle at the end of the hole or it will bring them down to the ice with it.

In all seriousness, yes the 3hp solo pro is about as fast as you can get off the shelf.

A word of warning though, keep an eye on those blades. Last night I was drilling some holes and noticed it felt just a bit odd.

I looked down and I only had one blade. shocked

Another thing is that I have an old Strikemaster cobra with the 3hp Tecumseh power head and I love it. Starts on the first pull every time and cuts really fast. The problems are that it tends to leak a little gas and a little oil will leak out of the exhaust now and then. Plus if you leave it in the back of your car it will really make it stink like gas.

I'm really looking for a really fast auger that is minimal maitanence. Something that doesn't stink in the car.

Another question, does the lazer pro have to set down a certain way? Or is it sealed up and won't leak gas like the Honda?

Also, how about that Honda lite? Anybody have some experience yet?

Thanks

Every 2 stroke engine used with augers will have a little exhaust smell. either it will leak onto the carpet of your vehicle (after a few years) or will leave a good oily smell in the car if you leave it there for awhile. i think they all kind of drip a little out of the muffler after being warmed up.

Every 4 stroke auger out there has less smoke and most claim to be light weight, like the honda.. its a 35cc.. of course its gonna be light weight. put a 3hp honda on there and it will be a pain.

Every 2 stroke engine used with augers will have a little exhaust smell. either it will leak onto the carpet of your vehicle (after a few years) or will leave a good oily smell in the car if you leave it there for awhile. i think they all kind of drip a little out of the muffler after being warmed up.

Every 4 stroke auger out there has less smoke and most claim to be light weight, like the honda.. its a 35cc.. of course its gonna be light weight. put a 3hp honda on there and it will be a pain.

Wrong. You havn't used a Tahaka. No smell no drips no nothing. Clean.

Coleman, you may also want to consider something along the lines of a 5 or 6 inch auger hooked to a 36V drill. So far, it's about the fastest thing through the ice i have seen (with the exception of something modified etc..) but for the application your looking for, it's light, fast, easy to manage and most of all quiet which is nice for checking out pan fishing spots without starting up a gas auger. With a couple batteries along you should be able to drill as many holes as you want in a day. Something to consider...

Been running a 2.5hp Solo for the second year and so far have been impressed. This year mostly running flags so got the 10in lazer bit on it and it's not that heavy.

Perhaps someday will break down and buy a nils, out of the box fastest auger you can buy...

Lost a blade on the Lazer before.

personally I think auger speed is a rooster measuring contest. If mine takes 10 more seconds to drill is it really gonna matter? I think not. I know folks like to shave quarter seconds off tying lines, pulling rods out of rod bags, and getting their jig down to the eat zone like it's an olympic event though. Meh, that's for the birds, I just wanna go fishing.

For a hole hopper, I think the only real factor to consider is weight.

Get some upper body and you can do wonders with only a Strikemaster Lazer Hand Auger.

funny you said that. I just bought a 8 inch and me and my buddy were tag teaming it this last weekend and im pretty sure at the end we were busting holes through 15in of ice in ten seconds.

Get a nils with a short shaft unless you are over six foot tall. I got a long shaft nils and my brothers have strike master 4 strokes new and old.mine gets used before theirs when we are all together . But it ways 23 lbs with 8" long shaft, 20 with six inch shaft.

21 year old jiffy, replaced cutters two years ago. Other than that nothing but spark plugs (4)i think, a little sea foam and synthetic oil( recently started using the stuff from ff)before that,it was a regular gas/oil mixture. Runs like a champ. Starts on the second or third pull (never on the 1st)it is a tad cold blooded, but never fails me...When I say synthectic, I mean one for all oil.. I like it. Some have said they have problems, I have not. Auger,weed whip,chain saw,blower/vac.