• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Looking to make rod holders (storage) for a weel house...I need ideas please

ratherbefishin

I used a scrap piece of oak about 2 ft long and mounted short pcs of PVC tubing to slip the rod handles into. Drill 2 holes big enough for the screw head to go through and on the other side the holes are the size of the screw threads. If you need a pic I'll take one tomarrow

I'll get a better picture of the actual rod holders this weekend. Here is what I did:

DCE551D2-3665-402D-AA33-71CF64E36E98-256

My top bunk folds roughly in half (the long way). Only the front half flips up, which keeps cushions, sleeping bags, and pillows in place for travel. Under the non-flippy side I left the 2x4's open to below, and drilled 1 1/4" holes for the handles in one 2x4, and 3/4" holes for the tips in the other 2x4. I have space for 5 rods on each side of the bunk. Works great!

Here's what we have in the front of our shack. Just two boards with matching holes.

If you don't have a lot of rods you push them up from the bottom thru the top holes and set the handle in the bottom holes. If you have a lot of rods you do it like the pic. We also have a Berkley foam rack in the back of the shack. It is kind of hard on the noodle rod tips though.

Ferny.

rodrackcropped_zps1bba998b.jpg

I found this idea from another site so it isn't mine, but I like it. I hope the owner of the pics doesn't mind me sharing.

Very cheap and should work well. You said you wanted wood but you could use a couple pieces to screw your eye bolts and hooks into to make it look a little more finished.

IMAG0052.jpg

IMAG0049.jpg

Here's a design that I have used in some of my custom finished Yetti's. Really simple if you have a table saw and some spade or Forstner bits. holes are spaced 3.5" apart and you can space the top and bottom pieces to fit your style of rods. Its easy to make and customize and holds rods tight when traveling and doesn't take up much room.

full-25398-28731-2013_01_11_11_17_38_59.

full-25398-28732-2013_01_11_11_17_59_613

full-25398-28733-rodholder.jpg

Not the best picture, but you get the idea. My goal with these rod holders was to not use any wall space so the underside of the bunks was the perfect place. These work great.

D8495EE4-FCC5-4EE4-BA1C-41D5DFA0A3C5-482

For now the ugly plywood is exposed to the underside, but I'm going to fill it in with tongue and groove once I get the house back home next weekend.

Not the best picture, but you get the idea. My goal with these rod holders was to not use any wall space so the underside of the bunks was the perfect place. These work great.

D8495EE4-FCC5-4EE4-BA1C-41D5DFA0A3C5-482

For now the ugly plywood is exposed to the underside, but I'm going to fill it in with tongue and groove once I get the house back home next weekend.

With the luck of my fishing crew the guy sitting closest to the wall would stand up and catch his head on one of the hooks left on the rods. Then the rest of us would spend the rest of the weekend arguing whether that counts towards the biggest catch contest for the weekend.