• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

I would just like to mention

DTro

That I have really grown to like my Vexilar Fl22. smile

In the past few years, I've had the opportunity to use several different flashers and have really like each one of them. I can't say I've had a bad one from any mfg over the years. In fact, I really liked the Ice55 last year and reluctantly got rid of it to get this one for a chance to try something new.

My first couple of trips, I was really questioning my judgement and seconding guessing my decision. crazy

No digital readout? No soft case? No dual beam? No adjustable zoom?

In addition to that, the unit was making a lot of noise compared to past flashers I've had. I did a bit of asking around and compared the noise to other flashers. I'm the type of person that can get annoyed by the littlest of things and when I can hear my flasher over the jet stream of the heater cooker, I'm not a happy camper.

As it turns out, all it needed was a little light oil on the rotor and a few trips out for the brushes to seat.

Now the thing is super quiet and I couldn't be happier with how its been working.

I love the fact that its built well and I can be a little more abusive with it. Toss it in a bucket and go. The battery life is off the chart and I can go 3 or 4 nights and the darn thing is still at 85-90%.

The Pro Ducer is pretty darn cool as well and dialing it up to search for schools of roaming fish and then dialing it down when you are on top of them works as advertised.

Lastly its nice to not even think twice about whether or not I have the latest software or having to downgrade to the past "best" version or waiting for the next greatest update to fix a fix from the last fix or a bug that was missed.

I consider myself a techie and thoroughly enjoy new gadgets and technology but sometimes you just have to step back and appreciate a great design and embrace the K.I.S.S theory.

full-105-28595-016_zpse83879dc.jpg

Dtro - I knew you would be happy with it reliabilty and durability are number 1 in my book. You know how much I fish and I can be a little hard on some equipment and I have to say the vex has never let me down!

Lastly its nice to not even think twice about whether or not I have the latest software or having to downgrade to the past "best" version or waiting for the next greatest update to fix a fix from the last fix or a bug that was missed.

I consider myself a techie and thoroughly enjoy new gadgets and technology but sometimes you just have to step back and appreciate a great design and embrace the K.I.S.S theory

Very well said

I still need to spend some time with it Andy and hit some more bodies of water. I'm anxious to try it up on ML for some Tullies and further North for some Lakers (in less than 60FOW of course. smile )

At this point though I'm really pleased with it.

Well, ok then

I really didn't want to void any warranty, so i brought it in to Vex (or the Motor Clinic shop there or whatever) and was told I just needed to put more hours on it as the brushes needed to seat. I hadn't heard of this before but I didn't want to question any service guy as he's seen thousands of these things. So I figured I would just throw it on the kitchen counter and let the thing run for a weekend.

Well, I got impatient and after several hours, I said heck with it and pulled the back off and put quick shot of lubricant (some kind of aerosol like wd-40) right on the base of the rotor shaft. This was per the suggestion of a fellow vex owner.

After that it was whisper quiet.

Disclaimer:

PLEASE DON'T ASSUME THIS IS WHAT YOU SHOULD DO. I DON'T KNOW THE LONG TERM AFFECTS AND/OR IF IT VOIDS YOUR WARRANTY.

Thanks for you review I've been waiting to hear your thoughts. I really like my Vex's and the 22 is my go to because I don't usually fish over 60' and like the 10' scales.

oil is probably put on the jewel bearings/bushings that the shaft runs on.

For you other vex users, if you put a case or even a towel around the head it's just as quiet as any other flasher.

Sorry to pry DTro, but I have sold my Ice 55 and my LX3 and only have a Vex 18 anymore since it just keeps going and all I do is drill a hole and throw it in there and it works each time without all kinds of adjustments. Not sure I will try the oil deal yet but I may sometime! Thanks. wink

Maybe check with Vex before oiling, it might be preoiled bushings?

When I took my old 8 apart to check brushes,etc. I found the brushes to be great and just cleaned out a very small amount of dust and put it back together. I don't remember oiling anything. This was around the 9th yr.

"all I do is drill a hole and throw it in there and it works each time without all kinds of adjustments"

Sometimes basic is a good thing. smile

Love the Vexi because it is easy to use and will always work, thats more than I can say about some of the units I have tried.

When someone can outfish me and prove it was because of the brand of flasher they own, then I will switch over. Untill that day comes I will use a Vexilar wink

That I have really grown to like my Vexilar Fl22. smile

In the past few years, I've had the opportunity to use several different flashers and have really like each one of them. I can't say I've had a bad one from any mfg over the years. In fact, I really liked the Ice55 last year and reluctantly got rid of it to get this one for a chance to try something new.

My first couple of trips, I was really questioning my judgement and seconding guessing my decision. crazy

No digital readout? No soft case? No dual beam? No adjustable zoom?

In addition to that, the unit was making a lot of noise compared to past flashers I've had. I did a bit of asking around and compared the noise to other flashers. I'm the type of person that can get annoyed by the littlest of things and when I can hear my flasher over the jet stream of the heater cooker, I'm not a happy camper.

As it turns out, all it needed was a little light oil on the rotor and a few trips out for the brushes to seat.

Now the thing is super quiet and I couldn't be happier with how its been working.

I love the fact that its built well and I can be a little more abusive with it. Toss it in a bucket and go. The battery life is off the chart and I can go 3 or 4 nights and the darn thing is still at 85-90%.

The Pro Ducer is pretty darn cool as well and dialing it up to search for schools of roaming fish and then dialing it down when you are on top of them works as advertised.

I consider myself a techie and thoroughly enjoy new gadgets and technology but sometimes you just have to step back and appreciate a great design and embrace the K.I.S.S theory.

full-105-28595-016_zpse83879dc.jpg

I couldn't agree with you more.

Went to Vexilar in Nov. to replace a bad Tri-Beam on my wifes FL-18.

Ended up getting a FL-22 with a Pro View.All I can say is WOW!!!

I just love the thing.The Pro View has a learning cuve,still learning but I think it is way better than the Tri Beam. Still have my HB-55 so my wife and I can fish together. Did make one big mistake,let my wife use the 22. Now she thinks it is her locator.Will keep the 18 as a back up had it since they came out and just can't part with it.